Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Remington wins contract for M4s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Well hopefully I can take advantage of the dip. I just hope none of our companies hurt themselves to the point of closing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Another thing as far as the Cerberus companies, (Remington, DPMS, Bushmaster), is now that they've got military obligations to meet, (120,000 weapons), that is going to slice into their ability to ramp up civilian sales. Bottom line, don't look for Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster rifles to be avaliable by the boxcar load as we've been accustomed to seeing. At least not in the immediate future.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #13

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Well hopefully I can take advantage of the dip. I just hope none of our companies hurt themselves to the point of closing.
I think what you've just mentioned is partly to blame for what we're seeing now. They all got burned by over producing the last time around, so they'll be very reluctant to expand production again, and be forced to deal with the same problems down the road. Yes, meeting customer demand is very important. But not at the risk of hurting the company in the process further down the road.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Sounds like the manufacturers have learned now if the general public would learn we wouldn't have this problem. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #15

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Remington, DPMS, Colt, Bushmaster, etc if I'm not mistaken especially when it comes to big contracts aren't their components sub contracted out anyways most likely to the same company?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I wonder how many guys are begging their squad leader to be put on the 249 or 240 knowing these will be hitting the arms room. I just hope the .gov inspectors are well rested they're going to have their hands full. They can't get it right on the civilian side lets pray they do it right for our service men.

It's a sad ****ing day when they award a contract such as this to the bottom feeders. It's not we're talking about a pair of pants or 550 cord.

Last edited by MikeJK; 04-25-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I wonder how many guys are begging their squad leader to be put on the 249 or 240 knowing these will be hitting the arms room. I just hope the .gov inspectors are well rested they're going to have their hands full. They can't get it right on the civilian side lets pray they do it right for our service men.

It's a sad ****ing day when they award a contract such as this to the bottom feeders. It's not we're talking about a pair of pants or 550 cord.
No kidding. A rifle is a soldiers second most important item, his brain being the first. Hopefully they do our men and women overseas right and make a good product. Plus, if they can take the changes they implement to follow the TDP specs and apply them to their civy rifles, we may see more quality rifles on our end. Always a welcome sight!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #18

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

One thing that will be interesting is whether Remington will be allowed to continue selling a commercial version of the M4. FN wasn't allowed to sell a commercial M16, only Colt has sold both military and commercial M16s and M4s. Bushmaster may have to become the commercial side of the the Ilion factory.

This also is an excellent example that parts vary in quality. Obviously Remington can't sell rebadged Bushmasters on the contract and expect to get by the inspectors. They no doubt are scrambling to buy true milspec components and probably will keep the govt and commercial sides of the factory separate. What goes into the typical Bushmaster won't go into the M4s sold to the military.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #19

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I hope this contract makes the Freedom group come up to speed and start making some better quality firearms. This they have the economies of scale from milspec production, maybe hopefully it will carry over to their civilian line.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

pm's sent. stick to the topic

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...