Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Remington wins contract for M4s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Default Remington wins contract for M4s

4/20/2012: U.S. Army places order for 24,000 M4 carbines with Remington Arms

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/04/20/us-army-places-order-for-24000-m4-carbines-with-remington/#more

This is breaking news and not a lot of info out yet but Remington will get the M4 TDP and will have to build true milspec M4s - and get up to speed fast. It remains to be seen if this will bring up the quality of civilian ARs such as Bushmaster. Odds are the civilian and military rifles made in Ilion, NY will be different for a while but in the future anything can happen.

The thing that likely will affect us the most is even more shortages in the AR supply chain as pointed out in this quote from the above article: "Any of you that were about to buy milspec parts for your guns, now’s a good time. I’m sure Remington is about to go on an OEM parts buying binge."

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #2

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

No comment on a Remington M4 contract?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'll still stick with my RRA and when the time is right (I.e. funds), step up to DD after a 6.8 upper comes home

Old 04-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

It depends on who they subcontract too. My uncle use to work for a company (Advanced Ordnance I believe) that built bolt carrier groups and a couple of other components for M16s under Colt. I'm sure Remington will do something similar.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #5

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
It depends on who they subcontract too. My uncle use to work for a company (Advanced Ordnance I believe) that built bolt carrier groups and a couple of other components for M16s under Colt. I'm sure Remington will do something similar.
Exactly. They'll do the same thing Colt does. Buy more parts from someone else. Look for the guys at CMT to start working some OT for the Summer.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Damnit. The government is just gonna order guns and ammo until there is nothing left for civilians. This is maddening.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This sh&t is getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to by a freaking windham weaponry ar because I can't even get the parts to build a spikes tactical. Insanity.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
This sh&t is getting ridiculous. I'm going to have to by a freaking windham weaponry ar because I can't even get the parts to build a spikes tactical. Insanity.
This will settle down quickly now that Romney is going to be the choice. A lot of these people are getting worked up about nothing, just as they did after the 2008 election. As I mentioned in another thread, I was at Cabela's yesterday and the place was dead. Nobody at the 100 foot long gun counter. Black rifles stacked and racked ready for sale. Ammo shelves were full. Handguns galore. The only thing in short supply was customers.

A lot of people learned their lesson last time, when they ran out and overpaid for these guns on credit. Then the prices crashed and they were unloading them for less than what they paid for them. The Internet is over hyping this. Many of these companies are filling orders they've received before all of this nonsense started.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the info. That's a bit comforting. I haven't seen any signs of calming in my area and its getting on my nerves. About a week ago I was looking at some spikes tactical lowers and yesterday they were sold out everywhere. It's crazy. A gun shop should never have to tell a customer we have a few lowers (not spikes) and no uppers and don't know when we will, but we have a few (low end) complete used rifles. Yeah no thanks.
If the gun I put up on consignment sells for my asking price then the insanity is working for me, if not its just an aggravation.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #10

Internet ammo and component sales are up. I purchased some WC-844 Powder from Wideners a while back for .223 / 5.56 MM, and it took longer than usual for them to ship it. I checked yesterday and they were "out of stock". But with that said I have no idea how much they had to begin with.

Another thing is a lot of these companies got caught with their pants down last time around. Many of them went to setting up extra, around the clock shifts in order to ramp up production to meet the demand. After everything rapidly settled when people ran out of money because of the pi$$ poor economy, they were forced to deal with layoffs and got stuck with a lot of product they ended up dumping on distributors for cost, just to move it because of the impending glut of black rifles that followed. If you look at the economy it can't support this for long. People are having trouble paying their mortgages and buying gasoline. Let alone spending 4 digits on guns they need far less than a job at the moment.