Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Remington R-15 VTR Predator .204 Ruger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington R-15 VTR Predator .204 Ruger

Anyone out there shooting a Remington R-15 VTR in .204 Ruger? I recently acquired one and am building reloads for this varminter and would appreciate feedback on favorite bullet/powder combos, as well as comments on rifle operation; good, bad, or otherwise.

Currently, I've been using the Sierra 32gr Blitzking and so far the best group I've had is with 25.0gr of IMR 3031. Grouping was 3/4" (center to center) on a windy day, which I consider pretty poor at 100 yds. Am using some old powders I have on hand, that are listed in the Sierra loading manual. Have used IMR 3031 and IMR 4895 so far, due to limited time at the range.

I cut my teeth on bolt action rifles in my "ute", and this is my first semi-auto centerfire, so really good accuracy may be a pipe-dream for a semi. Any comments from some experienced AR-15 style shooters would be greatly appreciated.

-RugerDan-

"9-1-1" = Government sponsored Dial-A-Prayer.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #2

Don't know much on the rifle. I do know however that AR type rifles are capable of groups better 3/4 inch. Me and another member on here both have the DPMS LR-308b, which is a .308 AR made by DPMS. He's gotten his groups down to about .4 inch with reloads, so you should be able to get yours down with good reloads and some practice as well.

You should also stop by the introductions section and let us know a little bit more about yourself.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

I use 27.3gr Benchmark, 32 gr Blitzking, vel= 3900 fps., for mine. I have it set up exclusively as a coyote rifle (we USED to have a problem with them around here).
Now I just play with it at benchrest shoots at the local club except for the two times a year I try to kill a few coyotes.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Default Re: Remington R-15 VTR Predator .204 Ruger

FCross7: appreciate the response and agree that I should be able to cut down the grouping to a more lethal size. Sorry, am new to forums; where do I find the introduction center? Will have learn how to navigate this site.

Gus556: thanks for the advise on the reloads. Haven't been able to find Benchmark, either at all or at a reasonable price, on local store shelves. Will probably have to order some online and test it out. I'm planning on dusting a few whistle-pigs and coyotes here in the land of the Buckeyes. Glad you've got your dog population under control.

Will share my results as I progress on the range. Thanks again for your replies.

-RugerDan-

"9-1-1" = Government sponsored Dial-A-Prayer.