Remington R-15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Remington R-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Remington R-15

I have a buddy with a Remington R-15 in 223. Are these considered good, reliable AR's? I know very little about AR-15's but think it would be a fun gun for shooting varmints and playing around with. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think they're actually built by bushmaster. Could be wrong though, and that's hear say.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I don't know what they go for in your area but I just did a search and saw one for $1150. For that kind of money I'm going another direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1165

They look great, have a fine old name but basically are (or soon will be as supply channels consolodate) just a Bushmaster or DPMS in camo. For that money I'd get a better AR. If you truly just want something to play around with, the S&W Sport can be found for around $600.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
They look great, have a fine old name but basically are (or soon will be as supply channels consolodate) just a Bushmaster or DPMS in camo. For that money I'd get a better AR. If you truly just want something to play around with, the S&W Sport can be found for around $600.
I think I read that their bbl. is not chrome lined I could be wrong correct me if I am.

Remington® Introduces Line of AR-15 Style Model 597

Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It probably isn't. Chrome lining is done to increase barrel life and make it easier to clean. The downside of it is that it decreases accuracy. Dice the R-15 is marketed to hunters, the benefits of the chrome lining really aren't needed, and they typically want all the accuracy they can get, so skipping out on the chrome lining is a smart move.

-Fred

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-25-2011, 03:53 AM   #7

Interesting info. I do know that for the money, a guy would probably be best off just buying a Rock River. He would probably give me a fair deal on this one though. How much would one be worth used you think?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Interesting info. I do know that for the money, a guy would probably be best off just buying a Rock River. He would probably give me a fair deal on this one though. How much would one be worth used you think?
Why would you spend $1150+ on a RRA?

To me the same logic applies as for the Remington AR - at that price range there are better choices. Or get something as good for less. If you can get a good deal on the R-15 it's up to you. But there are lots of great choices out there.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Why would you spend $1150+ on a RRA?

To me the same logic applies as for the Remington AR - at that price range there are better choices. Or get something as good for less. If you can get a good deal on the R-15 it's up to you. But there are lots of great choices out there.
Cool. Do you have any specific recommendations by chance. I am not very well educated on AR stuff so any suggestions you have would be great. Thanks

Old 12-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First, what do you want in an AR? Your applications, preferences, budget, etc. Check out all the "what should I buy" threads over the last couple weeks for ideas. I'd be in no hurry to spend a dime until being able to clearly state exactly what you want. Over and over we see people buy the wrong thing so naturally they aren't happy with what they bought after they finally get up to speed with ARs.