Rem R15 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rem R15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
My hunt continues but have yet to give some decent results (without spending two grand!) The whole reason I was trying to go for the R15 is that it comes in 308 relatively cheaper than you could build an AR of the same caliber. After hunting around CenCal, I heard about this guy that runs a small shop the next town over and specializes in everything AR, but holy **** bricks was he expensive (at least from what I can tell). He was selling totally stripped lowers for 450! Not including tax and registration! Daaaammmnn. Oh well, I'll continue to try and bag an "R" for grand.
Are you after the R15 for the camo finish, or are you trying to find something for hunting, or what? If you are after a deer rifle, you could go with the 6.8SPC, and you can get a Rock River 6.8SPC Midlength for $878 + transfer fees, from PK Firearms PK Firearms | Online Store

Or buy a Stag Model 7 upper in 6.8, and a lower, and you'd be into it for less than $900 also. Order Stag Arms Products Online!

The best thing about doing it that way, you could always buy different uppers to fit that lower and end up with a gun set up for what you want to be able to do.

Slo

Old 12-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Are you after the R15 for the camo finish, or are you trying to find something for hunting, or what? If you are after a deer rifle, you could go with the 6.8SPC, and you can get a Rock River 6.8SPC Midlength for $878 + transfer fees, from PK Firearms PK Firearms | Online Store

Or buy a Stag Model 7 upper in 6.8, and a lower, and you'd be into it for less than $900 also. Order Stag Arms Products Online!

The best thing about doing it that way, you could always buy different uppers to fit that lower and end up with a gun set up for what you want to be able to do.

Slo
Doesn't look like that first model can be shipped to California. But your second option got me going pretty good. I hadn't seen that kind of price on a flat top long barrel in 6.8, most I had found were 1000 up. So this does pose as a great option if I can find a cleaper lower receiver.

BUT, I spent most of last night online and flipping through magazines reading about the knowledge held by Gary Cook. Gary says that with a barrel that has a 1 to 6/7 twist, you can be damn accurate and still lethal to dear at 600+ yards with the 5.56 round. Only problem is that the bullet doesn't stabilize until after the 200 yard mark.

Still seems like I could just solve that problem with a 308, but I really wasn't looking at the 223 as an option.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
Doesn't look like that first model can be shipped to California. But your second option got me going pretty good. I hadn't seen that kind of price on a flat top long barrel in 6.8, most I had found were 1000 up. So this does pose as a great option if I can find a cleaper lower receiver.

BUT, I spent most of last night online and flipping through magazines reading about the knowledge held by Gary Cook. Gary says that with a barrel that has a 1 to 6/7 twist, you can be damn accurate and still lethal to dear at 600+ yards with the 5.56 round. Only problem is that the bullet doesn't stabilize until after the 200 yard mark.

Still seems like I could just solve that problem with a 308, but I really wasn't looking at the 223 as an option.
For an affordable complete lower, I would recommend one of the Sabre Defence lowers from : PK Firearms | Online Store for $265. Now, you will have to pay a tax for the lower, and a transfer fee. But that is a great lower at an excellent price.

Also, for deer, I would definitely consider the 6.8SPC over a 5.56. You can still use that 5.56 lower on the 6.8SPC, or a number of other upper receiver calibers.

Slo

Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #24

ORDERED STAG STRIPED LOWER IN 6.8!!!!!! w00t w00t!!! This is going to be badazz!

EDIT: For 200 total with shipping and reg! That local guy is frickin crazy. 450 my foot(Plus everything else)

Last edited by LotzORemmies; 01-02-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #25

est. total cost is 1075 with scope.