Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Rem R15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rem-r15-21523/)

LotzORemmies 12-26-2009 06:48 PM

Rem R15

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. So whats up with the REM R15... is it closely related to an AR or a clone or what? Has anyone shot one, or are they good shooters? Can they take AR magazines? This is on my "next" list but I want to know alittle more before dropping that kind of dough or if I should just build an AR from the ground up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

stalkingbear 12-26-2009 07:02 PM

While the R-15 is an AR in all ways, and shoots great (the 1 I shot), you could build your own from the ground up for 1/2 the cost of what you'd pay for the R-15. Now if you wanted the new 30AR round from Remington that would be the best reason to buy an R-15 as I seriously doubt they'd sell just the upper instead of the whole rifle.

NY Marksman 12-26-2009 11:16 PM

The Remington R-15 is a full fledged AR15. Mine Shoots well and takes any and all AR associated parts and accessories.

As for building your own, I'm currently in the process of building another AR and it will end up costing almost as much as the R-15 (using a Stag lower and a DPMS flatop with a 16 inch SS bull barrel, the same upper used on their Panther sweet 16 model).

If your interested in the R-15 I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with one.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/weaver46.jpg

LotzORemmies 12-28-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 204511)
While the R-15 is an AR in all ways, and shoots great (the 1 I shot), you could build your own from the ground up for 1/2 the cost of what you'd pay for the R-15. Now if you wanted the new 30AR round from Remington that would be the best reason to buy an R-15 as I seriously doubt they'd sell just the upper instead of the whole rifle.

Half the price? I don't see how I could do that without using only the cheapest stuff I could find.
Do you have a secret source you wanna let me in on???:D

LotzORemmies 12-28-2009 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Marksman (Post 204580)
The Remington R-15 is a full fledged AR15. Mine Shoots well and takes any and all AR associated parts and accessories.

As for building your own, I'm currently in the process of building another AR and it will end up costing almost as much as the R-15 (using a Stag lower and a DPMS flatop with a 16 inch SS bull barrel, the same upper used on their Panther sweet 16 model).

If your interested in the R-15 I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with one.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...n/weaver46.jpg

That looks damn good. Yeah, Im not a big fan of the shorty barrels, definitely prefer the flat tops.

stalkingbear 12-28-2009 03:32 PM

I was basing that on the MSRP of the Rem. I'm sure JD,Slowryde, or I could point you in the direction of reasonable quality components. Remember I'm used to basing my costs on actual wholesale prices paid-for both parts and whole firearms. Currently the Rem is still pretty high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotzORemmies (Post 205002)
Half the price? I don't see how I could do that without using only the cheapest stuff I could find.
Do you have a secret source you wanna let me in on???:D

NY Marksman 12-28-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 204511)

Just to set the record straight the 30 cal Remington is isn't an R-15, it's an
R-25

NY Marksman 12-28-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 205152)
I was basing that on the MSRP of the Rem. I'm sure JD,Slowryde, or I could point you in the direction of reasonable quality components. Remember I'm used to basing my costs on actual wholesale prices paid-for both parts and whole firearms. Currently the Rem is still pretty high.

I guess that depends on what you consider high, I paid $949.00 for mine from a Dicks Sporting Goods here in the Hudson valley in NY 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure you can find a new one for the same or possibly even a bit less if you do a little searching. I thought it was a pretty fair price if you compare it to similar rifles made by other companies such as DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag, or other well known AR manufacturers. To be honest the new build I'm working on now using the Stag lower and the DPMS upper is only costing around $100.00 less then the cost of the Remington and that includes taxes paid on the Remington. I understand you were basing your opinion on the MSRP of the Remington but Most gun shops aren't charging MSRP, at least the ones in this area and it would surprise me if many in other places would either. You can't go by MSRP you have to do the legwork to find out what the actual price in the marketplace is.

One thing more, The prices I quoted are all based on retail. None are wholesale.

stalkingbear 12-28-2009 03:56 PM

I hate to tell you but the .30AR round was developed specifically to have almost .308 power in the AR15 platform. The R25 is chambered for the .243/7mm08/.308 (regular .308).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Marksman (Post 205154)
Just to set the record straight the 30 cal Remington is isn't an R-15, it's an
R-25

NY Marksman 12-28-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 205162)
I hate to tell you but the .30AR round was developed specifically to have almost .308 power in the AR15 platform. The R25 is chambered for the .243/7mm08/.308 (regular .308).

What you say may possibly be correct but if you go to Remingtons website and look under the R-15 you will only see 2 calibers, .204 & .223