Reloading Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Reloading Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading Question

Hello everyone at FirearmsTalk. Something just crossed my mind that I feel would be acceptable to ask here.

If you tend to put magazines into the magwell over and over again, eventually something's going to get worn out and maybe even break. Which part of the weapon will it damage? I've heard stories of the mag catches nearly snapping in half, but I'll take YOUR word for it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

one of my duties in the army was unit armorer did it for three years before ets. never saw a mag catch in an m16 wear out. we had some really old beat to hell A1's that hadnt been swapped out for the A2 yet from vienam service that prolly saw combat still lurking in the back racks.

from what i understand, for a part to wear it has to rub against another surface as hard or harder than itself. most AR/m16 mags are softer than the mag catch. i think its a non- issue. proper inspection and function checks will catch any wear issue long before it causes a problem.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put up a thread awhile back about this subject after I had a mag release break on my Bushmaster AR, it broke where it is pinned on the off side. It was the first mag I loaded that day and it put the rifle back in the rig. The broken part was less than $10 to replace but ended shooting the rifle for the day. When I bought a replacement I bought it and a full lower rebuild kit (less trigger). Might never need the parts but I have them just incase and it wasn't a lot of $$. I put a lot of rounds through that Bushmaster and never considered something like this would happen.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Ahh, so they're pretty sturdy are they? Would you recommend me to buy one instead of an SKS or an AK? I heard the AR-15 rifles jam frequently if they're not kept after properly which isn't a feature of (almost) anything from the Kalashnikov family... I've heard.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosehair26 View Post
Ahh, so they're pretty sturdy are they? Would you recommend me to buy one instead of an SKS or an AK? I heard the AR-15 rifles jam frequently if they're not kept after properly which isn't a feature of (almost) anything from the Kalashnikov family... I've heard.
Most likely, the magazine itself will fail before any of the parts on your lower.

And yes, the AR will fail if not properly maintained. Running it without enough lube in the right places will make it fail more frequently.

However, the same can be said about the AK.

Finally, the SKS is not a member of the Klashnikov family.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 AM   #6

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of the SKS not belonging to the Kalashnikov family of rifles, I just worded my post incorrectly.

Thanks for the info!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello everyone at FirearmsTalk. Something just crossed my mind that I feel would be acceptable to ask here.

If you tend to put magazines into the magwell over and over again, eventually something's going to get worn out and maybe even break. Which part of the weapon will it damage? I've heard stories of the mag catches nearly snapping in half, but I'll take YOUR word for it.
This is why I keep a complete small parts set, and tools to replace them, for my AR's in my tactical vest rig. I use a MOLLE pouch designed for what I believe was a GPS unit. I keep another one in my assault pack along with my cleaning gear. That is the first concept I learned during my Army days...2 is 1...1 is NONE

Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default vest rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
This is why I keep a complete small parts set, and tools to replace them, for my AR's in my tactical vest rig. I use a MOLLE pouch designed for what I believe was a GPS unit. I keep another one in my assault pack along with my cleaning gear. That is the first concept I learned during my Army days...2 is 1...1 is NONE
Man thanks for the suggestion. I have all the spares bits and pieces for my AR but they are all cozy in my shop. I think one of the cleaning rod pouches would make a great repair kit to molle to my vest.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
Man thanks for the suggestion. I have all the spares bits and pieces for my AR but they are all cozy in my shop. I think one of the cleaning rod pouches would make a great repair kit to molle to my vest.
Glad to help. I'm one of those types that likes to be prepared for most anything. Living under the hope that we are never faced with a situation that calls for a Bug Out Kit...I think that having them is preferable to not. Nothing would piss me off more than needing a kit if a weapon malfunctioned in such a situation and going through the melodramatic process of realizing that the necessary parts are 20 miles away at the house and the enemy is closing fast,,,

Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
if you dont maintain an ak it will fail just as much as an ar. ak have other issues as well. both types have bad and good. ar's are only slightly more sensitive to crud build up but it isnt as big an issue as some ak fanboi make it out to be.

the ak/sks are designed to be handed out as disposable weapons to throw away uneducated soldiers whose life expectancy by the communist army is measured in the 90 rounds they are issued.

the AR is a precision weapon handed out to highly trained and educated proffessional soldiers who are expected to survive and accomplish the mission.

overall i have far more faith in a sturdy AR than a cheap sheet metal stamped ak.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...