Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Reloading Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/reloading-question-30414/)

Nosehair26 08-14-2010 01:46 PM

Reloading Question
 
Hello everyone at FirearmsTalk. Something just crossed my mind that I feel would be acceptable to ask here.

If you tend to put magazines into the magwell over and over again, eventually something's going to get worn out and maybe even break. Which part of the weapon will it damage? I've heard stories of the mag catches nearly snapping in half, but I'll take YOUR word for it.

JonM 08-14-2010 03:57 PM

one of my duties in the army was unit armorer did it for three years before ets. never saw a mag catch in an m16 wear out. we had some really old beat to hell A1's that hadnt been swapped out for the A2 yet from vienam service that prolly saw combat still lurking in the back racks.

from what i understand, for a part to wear it has to rub against another surface as hard or harder than itself. most AR/m16 mags are softer than the mag catch. i think its a non- issue. proper inspection and function checks will catch any wear issue long before it causes a problem.

WDB 08-15-2010 05:52 AM

I put up a thread awhile back about this subject after I had a mag release break on my Bushmaster AR, it broke where it is pinned on the off side. It was the first mag I loaded that day and it put the rifle back in the rig. The broken part was less than $10 to replace but ended shooting the rifle for the day. When I bought a replacement I bought it and a full lower rebuild kit (less trigger). Might never need the parts but I have them just incase and it wasn't a lot of $$. I put a lot of rounds through that Bushmaster and never considered something like this would happen.

Nosehair26 08-22-2010 07:45 AM

Ahh, so they're pretty sturdy are they? Would you recommend me to buy one instead of an SKS or an AK? I heard the AR-15 rifles jam frequently if they're not kept after properly which isn't a feature of (almost) anything from the Kalashnikov family... I've heard.

ranger_sxt 08-25-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosehair26 (Post 336326)
Ahh, so they're pretty sturdy are they? Would you recommend me to buy one instead of an SKS or an AK? I heard the AR-15 rifles jam frequently if they're not kept after properly which isn't a feature of (almost) anything from the Kalashnikov family... I've heard.

Most likely, the magazine itself will fail before any of the parts on your lower.

And yes, the AR will fail if not properly maintained. Running it without enough lube in the right places will make it fail more frequently.

However, the same can be said about the AK.

Finally, the SKS is not a member of the Klashnikov family.

Nosehair26 08-26-2010 02:12 AM

Oh yes, I'm very well aware of the SKS not belonging to the Kalashnikov family of rifles, I just worded my post incorrectly.

Thanks for the info!

TexasPatriot 12-05-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosehair26 (Post 331613)
Hello everyone at FirearmsTalk. Something just crossed my mind that I feel would be acceptable to ask here.

If you tend to put magazines into the magwell over and over again, eventually something's going to get worn out and maybe even break. Which part of the weapon will it damage? I've heard stories of the mag catches nearly snapping in half, but I'll take YOUR word for it.

This is why I keep a complete small parts set, and tools to replace them, for my AR's in my tactical vest rig. I use a MOLLE pouch designed for what I believe was a GPS unit. I keep another one in my assault pack along with my cleaning gear. That is the first concept I learned during my Army days...2 is 1...1 is NONE

culdee 12-12-2010 10:02 PM

vest rig
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasPatriot (Post 397469)
This is why I keep a complete small parts set, and tools to replace them, for my AR's in my tactical vest rig. I use a MOLLE pouch designed for what I believe was a GPS unit. I keep another one in my assault pack along with my cleaning gear. That is the first concept I learned during my Army days...2 is 1...1 is NONE

Man thanks for the suggestion. I have all the spares bits and pieces for my AR but they are all cozy in my shop. I think one of the cleaning rod pouches would make a great repair kit to molle to my vest.

TexasPatriot 12-12-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culdee (Post 401806)
Man thanks for the suggestion. I have all the spares bits and pieces for my AR but they are all cozy in my shop. I think one of the cleaning rod pouches would make a great repair kit to molle to my vest.

Glad to help. I'm one of those types that likes to be prepared for most anything. Living under the hope that we are never faced with a situation that calls for a Bug Out Kit...I think that having them is preferable to not. Nothing would piss me off more than needing a kit if a weapon malfunctioned in such a situation and going through the melodramatic process of realizing that the necessary parts are 20 miles away at the house and the enemy is closing fast,,,

JonM 12-12-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosehair26 (Post 336326)
Ahh, so they're pretty sturdy are they? Would you recommend me to buy one instead of an SKS or an AK? I heard the AR-15 rifles jam frequently if they're not kept after properly which isn't a feature of (almost) anything from the Kalashnikov family... I've heard.

if you dont maintain an ak it will fail just as much as an ar. ak have other issues as well. both types have bad and good. ar's are only slightly more sensitive to crud build up but it isnt as big an issue as some ak fanboi make it out to be.

the ak/sks are designed to be handed out as disposable weapons to throw away uneducated soldiers whose life expectancy by the communist army is measured in the 90 rounds they are issued.

the AR is a precision weapon handed out to highly trained and educated proffessional soldiers who are expected to survive and accomplish the mission.

overall i have far more faith in a sturdy AR than a cheap sheet metal stamped ak.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.