Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Reloading .223 and .45ACP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/reloading-223-45acp-15930/)

bamagunowner 07-20-2009 09:46 PM

Reloading .223 and .45ACP

I need some help from the braintrust...

I'm investigating reloading my own ammunition for my M4 and Kimber SIS. I like the idea of saving money on the ammunition, but don't know if it's more trouble than it's worth and I don't know if I shoot enough to warrant the expense of the setup...

Anybody have experiences (positive and negative) with reloading? Anyone use the Dillon 550B reloader? Has anyone calculated the average cost per round of reloaded ammunition?

masterPsmith 07-20-2009 10:43 PM

I have 550Bs on my bench and they have always worked great. If you shoot and practice like I do (at least 500 rounds of .45 at a time and a lot of .223 also) you can save quite a bit. But, with all things that go BANG these days, re-loading components are as hard or harder to come by than loaded ammo.
As far as prices in components, I have seen scalpers trying to charge as much as $100.00 for 1000 primers. If you want to start loading, I would suggest purchasing your equipment now and then start purchasing your components when they start becoming available at decent prices again. I have been re-loading for around 45 years and still enjoy it today....

Jim.....................

BILLYBOB44 07-20-2009 11:22 PM

reloading .223+.45acp.

Hay bama. This is the way it is for me: I don't shoot as much as I used to in any cals. My first press was a RCBS RockChucker. I also have had a Dillon RL550 for 15 years or so. I have a good selection of mostly RCBS dies in rifle/pistol, and have been adding on Dillon Dies for my common pistol cals. Dillon Dies cost more, but to me-are well worth it. I have had a good stock of components since before the Obama election, so I am still well equipped on primers,powder,bullets,brass. I treasure the independence that I have knowing that I can load most any round that I shoot, and DO NOT have to depend on WallyWorld,or any gun shop for the ammo that I want to shoot. The only factory loads that I buy are for PD. DO NOT carry handloaded ammo for Personal Defense!! Handloads for PD only give attorneys something to point the finger at you, if you have to shoot their clients. The two cals. that you are considering handloading have a large selection of bullet weights, and loads. You can tailor make the loads that YOU want to shoot-NOT some load that WallyWorld/gun shops, want to sell you.This makes it all worth it, to me. Yes cost per round is less==downside==You WILL shoot more!!:);):)

bamagunowner 07-20-2009 11:36 PM

Thanks guys... The reasons you gave are the exact reasons that I want to do my own loading. I'm having a lot of trouble finding .45ACP at prices less than $0.50 a round. Most of it is decent reload, but only in +P... For my M4, the only stuff I can find reasonably is 55gr. I really want to go with better performance in a 70gr to push that 1:7 twist.

It looks like I can get setup with brand new Dillion 550B press, die's and a couple of useful accessories for under $500. I'm going to check locally first, but do you know of a decent reloading supply website?

BILLYBOB44 07-21-2009 01:37 AM

Go surfing

Google is your friend for loading info==use it. Dillons web site=www.bluepress.com I can give my top marks to any Dillon product. I have+use many of them!!:) Be sure to request their cat. and get on their mailing list.:D:):D ps. Midwayusa is probably the best site for handloading.