Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Reliability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Reliability

When do know a rifle is reliable, one you would trust your life on, regardless of specs or maker? The accepted rule of thumb with a 1911 is 500 rnds of FMJ and 200 of your carry ammo with no failures or malfunctions. I have never seen anything on when to trust an AR. Is it so many rounds, a certain mix of steel and brass or maybe working with all types of mags? What do you all think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
When do know a rifle is reliable, one you would trust your life on, regardless of specs or maker? The accepted rule of thumb with a 1911 is 500 rnds of FMJ and 200 of your carry ammo with no failures or malfunctions. I have never seen anything on when to trust an AR. Is it so many rounds, a certain mix of steel and brass or maybe working with all types of mags? What do you all think.
Honestly min of 2000 rds for me in a quality rifle without any issues , I only run GI mags and Magpul mags , If it wont run steel to me its not considered reliable , you want a rifle that you can trust with your life it better be able to run everything without any hiccups . If I get a mag that wont cycle it goes in the trash , why ? its unreliable and I have only thrown 3 or 4 away .
Things can break on any rifle and they are all replaceable. That is what I love about this platform . So many configurations, so many parts readily available .

Optics battle rifle quality , Aimpoint or trijicon with backup sights Its hard to beat Iron sights . Sorry I wouldnt have a EOtech , They are a great RDS but they only have a 2 yr warranty and for what they cost they should have a lifetime warranty and the battery life isnt great anyway . A good friend of mine spent a long time over seas and said he went thru many of the EOtechs in his time there . He is a true believer in the durability of the aimpoint and trijicons

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-21-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5472 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 4746

Everyone has a different viewpoint I suppose.

I like to take a gun that is broken in, clean it thoroughly! I mean thoroughly!

Then with no lubrication whatsoever, run a minimum of 200 rounds through it. For me, it must run 100 percent, zero malfunctions.

Golda Meier.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I probably don't have defined numbers. I guess it would be 500rds of misc ammo, with misc mags. You have to get to know a rifle, and even the mags and ammo for that matter.

I trust what I know. I trust Daniel Defense rifles. I trust BCM and PSA builds that I have specifically selected parts for (mostly from those same two companies). No doubt there are countless other trustworthy and highly reliable manufacturers...but like I said, I trust what I know. That's the measure of quality that happens to be in my wheelhouse. Most Noveske stuff is a little beyond my means.