Registration needed for parts made ar15?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Registration needed for parts made ar15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default Registration needed for parts made ar15?

do i have to register my ar15 if i bought the upper and lower separate? i hear you don't, but because I'm used to going and buying complete firearms, its always registered. so do ar's made from parts have to be registered?
might be a noobish question but need to know

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Liked 417 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

the lower should have been registered when you bought it as far as i know if it has a serial # on it its considered a firearm.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I don't know where you are from but here in Wisconsin there is no "registration". When you buy a lower a 4473 is filled out for the transfer and is kept on file with the ffl who did the transfer, there is no paperwork on an upper or any of the other parts. So here if I buy a lower and assemble the rifle from various parts I order online there is no further paperwork to do. People often refer to the 4473 as "registration" but that isn't really what it is, it is simply a paper trail so if the gun is used in a crime and found by the cops they can track the serial # to find out who bought it originally, if that person then sold it to someone else there is no paperwork for that.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

In California, er Kommiefornia, sorry Californistan, when you purchase your Lower Reciever you will have to DROS it. You will have to wait a mandatory 10 day wait while the DOJ runs a background check on you and a checks out the serial number on your lower reciever. There is a minimum of $35 charged for this. If you shipped in your lower to your FFL, you should always ask your FFL first how much he will charge you to DROS the lower. Some places here will dros it for $50, and there are some that charge $75 + $35. Since there is no regulation or law setting a maximum amount they can charge you as much as they want so be careful. If you buy it from your FFL's stock usually they will only charge the minimum $35. Notable exceptions are Turner's. They don't say it but they usually charge $45. Also remember if you you can buy multiple long guns on the same paperwork. So if you buy a shotgun and 5 rifles, they can all be on the same paperwork and you can spread the cost. Again, ask your local FFL about this.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #5

Also forgot to mention that only the lower is registered. Nothing else needs to go through the FFL so you can have your upper shipped directly to your house etc.

Also if you purchase a 80% lower, you can have it shipped to your house and then complete it yourself. Once you finish it, its yours and you do not have to register it unless you ever want to sell it, but it there's a bunch or rules and laws you will have to comply with in order to sell it legally.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kommiefornia must have no renal cancer. You suckers get a free prostrate exam just for looking at a gun.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
Kommiefornia must have no renal cancer. You suckers get a free prostrate exam just for looking at a gun.
Another reason I'm glad I left that state. And its almost impossible to get a conceal and carry license.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
>.<

>.<

Took me a couple weeks to figure out just how to legally own one.

If you think this is bad, you should see the hoops we need to jump to get a handgun. I like how we are restricted to guns on the SAFE handgun list. However LEOs can freely purchase any (unsafe apparently) handgun.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
>.<

>.<

Took me a couple weeks to figure out just how to legally own one.

If you think this is bad, you should see the hoops we need to jump to get a handgun. I like how we are restricted to guns on the SAFE handgun list. However LEOs can freely purchase any (unsafe apparently) handgun.
As others have said, the Lower is the only serial numbered part, and it is transferred to you when you buy it.

With that said, most states don't have any form of firearms registration. The only thing that can be seen is that it was last transferred to you through someone with an FFL, most states also do not require private sales to go through an FFL, so you technically "could have sold it".

As always, don't believe anything you read on the internet and always check with your local laws before doing ANYTHING of the sort.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

thank you. will do....me not being a skilled firearms builder,this is a whole new level to me...i feel like a young kid in December trying to decide what i want for Christmas morning when i look through all the infinite combinations of ways i can modify an ar15....Jumping Jelly Beans!!!