Red Jacket Firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red Jacket Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Red Jacket Firearms

Seen a red jacket ar15 at Academy for $1300, has anyone had experience with these. It looked to be of good quality and fit. Was all magpul furniture. These are supposed to be custom build in Baton Rouge, LA. as I am sure most have seen there show. I am looking into my first AR15 and wondering if this is a good choice....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

Liked 1077 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 708

For that same money, I'd go with Colt, or one of the other top-tier manufacturers, myself. You're probably paying a lot for the name. Someone will be along shortly to completely flame Red Jacket. Not sure I'd have to disagree with that….

Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3043 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 353

I didn't know Red Jacket was still in business.
Without knowing model or specs, it's hard to judge. However, based on their previous attempt at a 1911, I'd be willing to bet that you can do a LOT better for that money.
Is it this one?: http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=46&category_id=3&option=com_virtu emart&Itemid=4
I'm no expert on ARs, but there doesn't appear to be anything special justifying the high price.
For that amount or less, I'd steer you to a Colt as well. There's a world full of good rifles out there for under a $1K. Seriously, keep looking.
I own a Rock River and would recommend it as well. Admittedly not the ultimate in value for money, but IMHO, still way ahead of Red Jacket.

I suggest that you hit some of the Stickies in the AR section. Lots of excellent knowledge to be had.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-introductions-ars-101-a-62477/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/understanding-barrel-twist-bullet-weights-44557/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/

NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?
People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I didn't know Red Jacket was still in business.
Without knowing model or specs, it's hard to judge. However, based on their previous attempt at a 1911, I'd be willing to bet that you can do a LOT better for that money.
Is it this one?: http://www.redjacketfirearms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e.tpl&product_id=46&category_id=3&option=com_virtu emart&Itemid=4
I'm no expert on ARs, but there doesn't appear to be anything special justifying the high price.
For that amount or less, I'd steer you to a Colt as well. There's a world full of good rifles out there for under a $1K. Seriously, keep looking.
I own a Rock River and would recommend it as well. Admittedly not the ultimate in value for money, but IMHO, still way ahead of Red Jacket.

I suggest that you hit some of the Stickies in the AR section. Lots of excellent knowledge to be had.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-primer-beginners-guide-59600/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-introductions-ars-101-a-62477/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/understanding-barrel-twist-bullet-weights-44557/
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/lets-end-ar-bs-5843/
That would be it. I have been lurking and reading ALOT on here and other places. I have been interested in Spikes, Windham, and Colt. Also looked at others like PSA ect. Just I never see anyone who has one of these from Red Jacket except on you tube and not much info out there. I figured it would be nothing special beside the name and support of a small company. Honestly I would rather spend $900 on a decent rifle and use the rest to add optics, ect.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

flamethrower.jpg

Here ya go.....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5915 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Total skip. Your paying above psa/colt/Bcm prices for carbon15 quality.

If you have a problem with redjacket builds, and you will, you will be blamed by the owner for the shtty build quality and every excuse given not to fix it. Same thing applies to rguns.

Scummy doesn't begin to truly describe that company

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think alot of the price is marketing and advertising. i would buy a Colt or something else before buying Red Jacket.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

Liked 3113 Times on 1861 Posts
Likes Given: 2154

been watching old re-runs of that show on netflix. mind numbing entertainment at best (well, maybe not its best)....

as far as their guns i dunno......

1300 puts you in the range of some very proven AR's with years of solid reputation. do your research and make your best choice. its your money!

good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman4264 View Post
Seen a red jacket ar15 at Academy for $1300, has anyone had experience with these. It looked to be of good quality and fit. Was all magpul furniture. These are supposed to be custom build in Baton Rouge, LA. as I am sure most have seen there show. I am looking into my first AR15 and wondering if this is a good choice....
You would be much better off building one at that price. Red jackets rifles may be high quality but ur paying for them to build the gun cause they our pro gunsmiths. That being said the price from the start will be higher. Building is the way to go. For one you really learn your rifle when your building one so when something goes south later on down the road you will have a good ideal on how to fix the problem cause u already have some experience. Plus your building ur own gun to ur likings so chances our there's not anther one just like it. That's what makes it special cause it's ur own personal build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
You would be much better off building one at that price. Red jackets rifles may be high quality but ur paying for them to build the gun cause they our pro gunsmiths. That being said the price from the start will be higher. Building is the way to go. For one you really learn your rifle when your building one so when something goes south later on down the road you will have a good ideal on how to fix the problem cause u already have some experience. Plus your building ur own gun to ur likings so chances our there's not anther one just like it. That's what makes it special cause it's ur own personal build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app
i agree. for $1300 and building your own, would get you a really top notch build when finished with quality parts.

plus building gets you the rifle thatis made for you, because you built it to the specs that make it suited to your needs or wants.

but even if he buys, i think for that amount, there are many more better proven rifles to buy. IMO, some of that cost is the name.