Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > red dots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default red dots

just bought my first ar15 .223 and was wondering what are some good red dots scopes for it, like I said its my first ar and not to familiar with the accesseries for them. Ive read the vortex is a good bang for the buck. Also what are good lights magnifiers, vertical handles, lights.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sights, AimPoint, Trijicon. Get ready to drop, at the very least, in the mid 400.00s. Welcome to the world of ARs.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 05-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

i love my eotech...

Old 05-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Bushnell's Trophy line of red-dots are great for the $$$. You'll spend about half of an aimpoint or eotech.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #5

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I have to agree with Diggs, Bushnell's Trophy series is holding up for me. I'm very pleased with two of their TRS-25 Aimpoint micro clones and not a single problem so far. One's about 9 months old and the other 6 and plenty sturdy so I don't expect problems down the road. They hold zero well and cowitness easily. My first riser shot loose but once I got something more rigid no problems. Got them at Cabelas for $80 each using two different sales. I've seen a lot of complaints that the intensity knob is too hard to turn but it's really not a big deal on either of mine.

But they are cheap RDSs so buyer beware...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For the money a Primary Arms Micro Dot can NOT be beat. Its a Aimpoint T1/H1 copy but at a fraction of the cost. I like my H1 and the PA Micro sitting on my dedicated .22 AR. At $158 including an $80 AD QD mount its more than a bargin. I can honestly say you wont find a better optic (non-Aimpoint, EoTech, NF, Trijicon, etc.) for the price.

http://youtu.be/TMosefuud0I
Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)

Light - G2 or similar Surefire

Magnifier - I prefer a 1x4 over a flip up magnifier behind a red dot

Foregrip - Magpul AFG as far out on the rail as possible.

Last edited by mjkeat; 05-22-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

Liked 971 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 972

That Primary Arms Micro looks good, MJ. I've been tempted to try one since I could use one more H1 clone and as you say it comes with a good mount.

Need to try a Magpul AFG, too!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The mount its from one of the 3 top manufacturers of mounts (Larue, Bobro, ADM). I believe they make the mounts that come factory on some Aimpoints like the new PRO. Even at $150-$200 (just optic) the PA would sell. I also forgot to mention the out of this World CS Marshall provides. The only complaint I have is the knobs are slightly taller than the T1/H1.

I think you would be very happy w/ it Quentin.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Personally I like the Model 512 EOtech. It is lightning fast regarding target acquisition. To the point you do not even need to get a cheek weld in order to shoot the target. Great for slicing the pie on corners and trees and etc. For example if you were setting leaning your back against a tree and a target came in behind you. All you would need to do is lean out with the rifle or what ever weapon and as soon as you seen the dot on the target regardless of the weapon's position you can hit the target at that instant.
1 MOA Dot that does not cover up an 4" pie plate at 100 yards. And the one MOA Dot can also be used to figure minute of angles on distant targets and the elevation of hold needed. Example if you know your round drops 2 MOA at a distance. You just hold the distance of two reticle dots high. Also it has 20 light settings to compensate for sunny, cloudy or dim light room applications. And runs over 300 + hours on one set of AA Batteries. They also have a magnifier that you can get later to bring everyhting to 3X "With out making the reticle three times larger. I remains a 1 MOA Dot.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Just wanted to add one other additional thought regarding my EOtech Suggestion. If you need to put a great sight system together with the EOTech. Look at the Rock River Arms Dominator II Sight and Rail. Once zeroed with the iron sights. You can then look over the top of the rear and the front iron sight about 1/4 ". So iron sights no longer are any type of obstruction and you are looking only at the EOTech Reticle on the target. But if the sight fails you can lower your head a 1/4" and be co-witnessing using the iron sights through the EOTech's window. No fine motor skills required to flip up a folding rear sight and no deadly time delay for the transition from the optic to the iron sights.
We found that when a human comes under any sort of stress or threat fine motor skills dissipate or are completely gone. But regarding the Dominator Sight Rail, the good thing that happens with this set up is when we come under stress or threat human nature automatically causes us to duck the head which automatically causes us to lower our head the 1/4 inch when the O.S. factor of the sight failure!
Should it ever happen?