Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   red dot trouble (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/red-dot-trouble-55310/)

clax 01-12-2012 04:59 AM

red dot trouble

I bought an AR and it came with a red dot already on it. Its a bushnell and I am ready to get rid of it. I can't figure out what its for. It is just a lense, no cross hair, no referance to where the target is on the range.

There is a red dot in it when I sit under a lamp, but at an outdoor gunrange I get nothing, is there something wrong?

trip286 01-12-2012 05:20 AM

This may sound like a troll post, but I have to ask, are the batteries fresh?

I only ask that because it's amazing how many "broken down" cars I've fixed by adding gas to the tank.

That being said, I haven't heard much about bushnell optics, it could just be crap for all I know.

Marlinman 01-12-2012 05:36 AM

It should be good and the purpose is quick but accurate target aquisition. And id change your batteries and try it outside again. Bushnell is pretty good quality for cheap.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

clax 01-12-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 674710)
This may sound like a troll post, but I have to ask, are the batteries fresh?

I only ask that because it's amazing how many "broken down" cars I've fixed by adding gas to the tank.

That being said, I haven't heard much about bushnell optics, it could just be crap for all I know.

not a troll at all, I had no idea it needed batteries

Marlinman 01-12-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clax
not a troll at all, I had no idea it needed batteries

Unscrew the very top of the light control knob w a coin and you will have found the battery compartment

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

msup752 01-12-2012 11:19 AM

I have a Different brand sight and it has a brightness knob on it from 1 to 12. I usually have it on 12 to see it well.

hardluk1 01-12-2012 01:00 PM

Unscrew the cap on the rheostate , dial with 1 thru 10 on it and see if there is a plastic tab you can pull out from under the battery. If nothing there at all get the right battery. , Read the info sheet that came with it. I know guys not need directions but sometimes they help. You will find when its bright day light you turn the dial up when over caste or near dark a setting of 1 or 2 is enough.

mjkeat 01-12-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msup752 (Post 674816)
I have a Different brand sight and it has a brightness knob on it from 1 to 12. I usually have it on 12 to see it well.

Your dot must be fuzzy as hell on such a high setting. Even on 100+ degree summer days a setting of 4-6 works great for me. I wonder if there's something wrong w/ your optic.

msup752 01-12-2012 06:39 PM

Not fuzzy at all. I really can't even see it until I hit 6 or so. It was $50 so if I have to turn it to 10 or 12, i'm good with that.
I was thinking of putting it on my 12ga and getting a better one but not sure if it will take the punishment.