Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red Dot question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Red Dot question

I have 0 experience with red dot scopes. I recently purchased one and took it to the range and sighted it in. I got it pretty dead on but it is inconsistent because of the way the dot moves around and is not center in the scope. If I move my head in the slightest the dot moves off center. After taking a couple of shots and hitting the target where I want to it is pretty accurate, but when I go to reload and shoot again its like I have to take a few shots and find the target and hold the dot in that position within the scope. How do you guys shoot these things? Seems like there is a lot of play in the scope. Could I line it up directly on top of the iron sight?

BTW this is the reticle I see
http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/images/Bushnell/BUSHNELL-Trophy-1x32-MP-Red-Dot-Scope-Illuminated-Red-Green-T-Dot-Reticle-730132P-Pic1.jpg

I have only shot with crosshairs until now. I also have a Vortex Strykfire on the way which I will probably wind up sending back if I can't get this straightened out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5775 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 10923

Some sights are more prone to parallax. Try co-witnessing.

No offense and none taken

Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
I have 0 experience with red dot scopes. I recently purchased one and took it to the range and sighted it in. I got it pretty dead on but it is inconsistent because of the way the dot moves around and is not center in the scope. If I move my head in the slightest the dot moves off center. After taking a couple of shots and hitting the target where I want to it is pretty accurate, but when I go to reload and shoot again its like I have to take a few shots and find the target and hold the dot in that position within the scope. How do you guys shoot these things? Seems like there is a lot of play in the scope. Could I line it up directly on top of the iron sight?

BTW this is the reticle I see
http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/images/Bushnell/BUSHNELL-Trophy-1x32-MP-Red-Dot-Scope-Illuminated-Red-Green-T-Dot-Reticle-730132P-Pic1.jpg

I have only shot with crosshairs until now. I also have a Vortex Strykfire on the way which I will probably wind up sending back if I can't get this straightened out.
Have you tried a bore site? Great place to start. IRRC a red dot is not for pinpoint accuracy. Make sure every thing stays snug and tight. They tend to loosed sooner or later.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My iron sights are dead on. I have never tried bore sighting. I may just send this back and get a crosshair that has a lighted reticle option. The think I liked about the Vortex is that it has a doubler that you can attach so I can use my iron sights through the 1x and use the doubler if I need it. I want to be able to use my iron sights.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have an Aimpoint PRO on my duty rig (Daniel defense Mk18) and i sighted it in and have had no issues.

and like said above, the rds scopes are not for pinpoint accuracy. they are for combat quick fire stuff.

i would sell that rds to a friend and put out the money and buy an Aimpoint product or EoTech.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post

Where you say when you move your head the slightest and the dot moves, well, thats the way all red dots and holographics work. That is what makes them fast to sight in on a target. And where ever that dot is, it is supposed to be the true point of aim at, no matter where it sits in relationship to your iron sights.
Cheaper red dot sights move around or float even after your rifle is zeroed in, while an expensive sight will stay true for years. If you are only hitting things when you are seeing -co-witness through the dot and the sights, and then it wont hold zero if you move your head a tad left or right or up or down, then the glass on your scope more than likely isn't a perfect plain.
A lot of play in the scope, do you mean how it is mounted, is it able to move around after it has been tightened down.? A good quality mount will hold its zero even after you remove the mount and put it back on again. Same place every time. A cheap mount won't.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What you are referring to is parallax. Relax, it's normal. I kinda freaked out when I noticed the same thing when I first got my Eotech.

The Eotech stabilized at distances over 5 meters/15 feet. My Aimpoints about the same.

Set your sight down, and then sight it on an object maybe 20 feet away. The reticle will not move if you shift your head from side to side.

I know its weird, but its just the way the sights work.

The only way to completely get rid of parallax is to have two points to reference your sight picture, ie front sight post and rear site aperature. If you have a red dot you can use your front site post as a second reference point when getting your sight picture. At distances like 5 meters, you probably won't be using a sight anyways. WELL I guess you would if you were trying to shoot an apple off your friends head, or a fly on the wall.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 05-15-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Thanks RikkiTikki

just focus on the target and the dot, ignore your front sight post. Where ever the red dot is, thats where the bullet will hit, (once Zeroed at distance)

Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I basically bring my AR up and place my cheek in the same place each time I shoot. Plus I my Vortex red dot is co-witness with the front sight. I keep both eyes open at all times and it gives me fast sighting coverage. Vortex has 0 parallax after 50 yards anyway.

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2132 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

A lot of the inexpensive Red Dot Sights have an extreme amount of Parallax with the Reticle.
Shooting them at 100 yards for example could mean the group could span up to around 4 - 6 inches while holding the same cheek weld.
The better models like the Pro Points, Aim Points, EOTechs and others the dot moves but have little if any Parallax. So the shots are consistent. And another reason the Dots are smaller. The EOTech for example has a 1 MOA Dot. Which only covers 1 inch at 100 yards. Some have up to 4 MOA Dots. Of course the better ones are more money. I guess if one is using one for close in shots like 50 yards or less it would have little importance if you had a 4" group for example. You are combat/tactical shooting not placing a precise shots not at longer ranges.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 05-15-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This