Red dot on PWS mk214??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red dot on PWS mk214??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

Default Red dot on PWS mk214??

Hey guys and gals, I have a pws mk214 which is a piston driven .308 battle rifle on an AR platform
My question is, do you guys think I would be sacrilegious to put an aimpoint micro on such a gun? I kinda just wanna use it for hogs, self defense out to 200m or so, and general blasting of pests on my ranch.
I know these guns perform at peak with magnified glass, but I've already got my scar17 set up for DMR use.
Any thoughts on this idea?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Broke,

Each of us have our opinions as we realize. But I would recommend going with an EOTech XPS -2 or 3.
The reason is I prefer the Holographic Sight over the Red Dot. This for a couple of reasons.
First of all the XPS units come with a 1 MOA Dot Reticle vs a 2-4 MOA Dot which covers up a lot of target area at 100 yards depending on the MOA size of the Dot. In addition I can use a 3X Magnifier with the XPS-2 or 3 and it does not change the size of the Reticle MOA at all. It is still seen as a 1 MOA Reticle Holographic Dot. It is not multiplied in size. In addition with the Holograph unit you do not even need to acquire a cheek weld on the stock to properly engage the target. If the lense gets obstructed partialy the reticle will still be visible to take a shot. To understand this find someone that has an EOTech and while you look through it have them take a business card and start closing off the Objective side of the window with the card. When the card has all but 1/4" of the screen blocked you will still be able to see the Reticle on the target through the screen! If you plan on doing any night time hog hunting the XPS-3 is a good choice with some NV units. If you get a good Aimpoint which there is nothing wrong with them, the $$$$ are in the same ballpark.
Only my thoughts!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Broke,

Each of us have our opinions as we realize. But I would recommend going with an EOTech XPS -2 or 3.

The reason is I prefer the Holographic Sight over the Red Dot. This for a couple of reasons.

First of all the XPS units come with a 1 MOA Dot Reticle vs a 2-4 MOA Dot which covers up a lot of target area at 100 yards depending on the MOA size of the Dot. In addition I can use a 3X Magnifier with the XPS-2 or 3 and it does not change the size of the Reticle MOA at all. It is still seen as a 1 MOA Reticle Holographic Dot. It is not multiplied in size. In addition with the Holograph unit you do not even need to acquire a cheek weld on the stock to properly engage the target. If the lense gets obstructed partialy the reticle will still be visible to take a shot. To understand this find someone that has an EOTech and while you look through it have them take a business card and start closing off the Objective side of the window with the card. When the card has all but 1/4" of the screen blocked you will still be able to see the Reticle on the target through the screen! If you plan on doing any night time hog hunting the XPS-3 is a good choice with some NV units. If you get a good Aimpoint which there is nothing wrong with them, the $$$$ are in the same ballpark.

Only my thoughts!

I've got an xps-2 as well. I'll try both but don't see the advantage over a regular dot. I've always seen the eotech reticle a as too busy at long range. But thanks a ton for the advice.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I prefer the Aimpoint for a few reasons.

1) My astigmatism and Lasik eye surgery makes the Eotech's reticle a blurry sparkly mess.
2) The battery life of the Aimpoint is unbelieveable.
3) In bright sunlight in the desert where I shoot, the Eotech's reticle can wash out a bit even on the maximum setting.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I prefer the Aimpoint for a few reasons.

1) My astigmatism and Lasik eye surgery makes the Eotech's reticle a blurry sparkly mess.
2) The battery life of the Aimpoint is unbelieveable.
3) In bright sunlight in the desert where I shoot, the Eotech's reticle can wash out a bit even on the maximum setting.

Plus the eotech's durability is definitely out shined by any Aimpoint.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke-again124 View Post
Hey guys and gals, I have a pws mk214 which is a piston driven .308 battle rifle on an AR platform
My question is, do you guys think I would be sacrilegious to put an aimpoint micro on such a gun? I kinda just wanna use it for hogs, self defense out to 200m or so, and general blasting of pests on my ranch.
I know these guns perform at peak with magnified glass, but I've already got my scar17 set up for DMR use.
Any thoughts on this idea?
its not sacrilege but im no fan of red dots. i am familiar with them as i do have a couple one for handguns in the vortex sparc and a strikefire i use on a 22 rifle. my wife has an aimpoint on her bcm carbine. i would hesitate to use it for plugging hogs at 100 much less 200.

my pref is for 3-9 and 1-4 optics in both cqb to dmr roles. my pref is for the trijicon accupoints and acogs.

the tr24 is a true 1x which operates like a dot site at 1x then you can swith to 1.25 2 3 or 4x as needed. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR24

mine is a tr24g green triangle like in the pics. i just think you severely limit yourself and your rifles capabilities with a red dot on a anything but a plinker.

if you dont go trijicon there are a number of other 1-4 and 1-6 optics with true 1x

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Aimpoint > Eotech ...and I own an Eotech XPS-2, but not Aimpoint at the moment. So no bias to speak of. I've used both a bunch have many friends who depend on both. My Eotech is fine (and I'm keeping it for now), but if I were to do it over again...Aimpoint simply offers a more dependable product IMO. Almost everyone I know who works regularly with both has come to the conclusion that Aimpoint wins going away. And that includes an FBI trainer and Border Patrol armorer.

If you want to spend more, consider Trijicon. Also investigate the fixed 4x, 1-4x, 2-7x, etc type magnified scopes for this rifle.

Last edited by sweeper22; 01-01-2014 at 07:35 AM.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

if you go aimpoint or eotech and find you need some magnification for longer range shooting your going to spend another couple hundred on a magnifier.

when it comes to magnifier most cheap ones are like trying to look down a straw because the field of view is so damn small. the cheap ones also have extremely short eye relief the glass tends not to be very clear and light transmission is poor.

another issue with magnifiers is they are heavy and clumsy. they tend to throw the balance off either left or right when they are swung out of the way of the dot. either way you have them swing right or left or right your stuck with 2 or 3x and they still dont do a good job of replacing a decent scope.

if you get a decent one or a good one you end up in the total price range of a decent to very good to excellent 1-4 or 1-6 optic

once you add a magnifier between the cost of the rds or eotech your in scope range in price.

just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2018

Im sorry but I dont believe a .308 deserves to have a red dot on it . Its made to reeeaaaccchhhhh out there , even a 2 moa dot will be 8" @ 400 yards and 10" @ 500 . It deserves a quality scope of some sort. Acog, Nikon, Leupold ? And maybe some backup sights .In that 1-6 X range or up to 12x if you intend on distance shooting And not just limited to a red dot

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-01-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:20 PM   #10

I put a leupold mk6 1-6 on it. With an Alamo Four Star mount. Illuminated reticle. All that. That should do it.