Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Red dot on PWS mk214?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/red-dot-pws-mk214-101893/)

broke-again124 12-22-2013 09:05 PM

Red dot on PWS mk214??

Hey guys and gals, I have a pws mk214 which is a piston driven .308 battle rifle on an AR platform
My question is, do you guys think I would be sacrilegious to put an aimpoint micro on such a gun? I kinda just wanna use it for hogs, self defense out to 200m or so, and general blasting of pests on my ranch.
I know these guns perform at peak with magnified glass, but I've already got my scar17 set up for DMR use.
Any thoughts on this idea?

Sniper03 12-25-2013 09:42 PM

Broke,

Each of us have our opinions as we realize. But I would recommend going with an EOTech XPS -2 or 3.
The reason is I prefer the Holographic Sight over the Red Dot. This for a couple of reasons.
First of all the XPS units come with a 1 MOA Dot Reticle vs a 2-4 MOA Dot which covers up a lot of target area at 100 yards depending on the MOA size of the Dot. In addition I can use a 3X Magnifier with the XPS-2 or 3 and it does not change the size of the Reticle MOA at all. It is still seen as a 1 MOA Reticle Holographic Dot. It is not multiplied in size. In addition with the Holograph unit you do not even need to acquire a cheek weld on the stock to properly engage the target. If the lense gets obstructed partialy the reticle will still be visible to take a shot. To understand this find someone that has an EOTech and while you look through it have them take a business card and start closing off the Objective side of the window with the card. When the card has all but 1/4" of the screen blocked you will still be able to see the Reticle on the target through the screen! If you plan on doing any night time hog hunting the XPS-3 is a good choice with some NV units. If you get a good Aimpoint which there is nothing wrong with them, the $$$$ are in the same ballpark.:)
Only my thoughts!

broke-again124 12-25-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1467205)
Broke,

Each of us have our opinions as we realize. But I would recommend going with an EOTech XPS -2 or 3.

The reason is I prefer the Holographic Sight over the Red Dot. This for a couple of reasons.

First of all the XPS units come with a 1 MOA Dot Reticle vs a 2-4 MOA Dot which covers up a lot of target area at 100 yards depending on the MOA size of the Dot. In addition I can use a 3X Magnifier with the XPS-2 or 3 and it does not change the size of the Reticle MOA at all. It is still seen as a 1 MOA Reticle Holographic Dot. It is not multiplied in size. In addition with the Holograph unit you do not even need to acquire a cheek weld on the stock to properly engage the target. If the lense gets obstructed partialy the reticle will still be visible to take a shot. To understand this find someone that has an EOTech and while you look through it have them take a business card and start closing off the Objective side of the window with the card. When the card has all but 1/4" of the screen blocked you will still be able to see the Reticle on the target through the screen! If you plan on doing any night time hog hunting the XPS-3 is a good choice with some NV units. If you get a good Aimpoint which there is nothing wrong with them, the $$$$ are in the same ballpark.:)

Only my thoughts!

I've got an xps-2 as well. I'll try both but don't see the advantage over a regular dot. I've always seen the eotech reticle a as too busy at long range. But thanks a ton for the advice.

AgentTikki 12-26-2013 04:12 PM

I prefer the Aimpoint for a few reasons.

1) My astigmatism and Lasik eye surgery makes the Eotech's reticle a blurry sparkly mess.
2) The battery life of the Aimpoint is unbelieveable.
3) In bright sunlight in the desert where I shoot, the Eotech's reticle can wash out a bit even on the maximum setting.

broke-again124 12-31-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 1467603)
I prefer the Aimpoint for a few reasons.

1) My astigmatism and Lasik eye surgery makes the Eotech's reticle a blurry sparkly mess.
2) The battery life of the Aimpoint is unbelieveable.
3) In bright sunlight in the desert where I shoot, the Eotech's reticle can wash out a bit even on the maximum setting.

Plus the eotech's durability is definitely out shined by any Aimpoint.

JonM 01-01-2014 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broke-again124 (Post 1464988)
Hey guys and gals, I have a pws mk214 which is a piston driven .308 battle rifle on an AR platform
My question is, do you guys think I would be sacrilegious to put an aimpoint micro on such a gun? I kinda just wanna use it for hogs, self defense out to 200m or so, and general blasting of pests on my ranch.
I know these guns perform at peak with magnified glass, but I've already got my scar17 set up for DMR use.
Any thoughts on this idea?

its not sacrilege but im no fan of red dots. i am familiar with them as i do have a couple one for handguns in the vortex sparc and a strikefire i use on a 22 rifle. my wife has an aimpoint on her bcm carbine. i would hesitate to use it for plugging hogs at 100 much less 200.

my pref is for 3-9 and 1-4 optics in both cqb to dmr roles. my pref is for the trijicon accupoints and acogs.

the tr24 is a true 1x which operates like a dot site at 1x then you can swith to 1.25 2 3 or 4x as needed. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR24

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...5.jpg~original

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4670795327342381&pid=1.7

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/OpticsR...TR24G%201x.jpg

mine is a tr24g green triangle like in the pics. i just think you severely limit yourself and your rifles capabilities with a red dot on a anything but a plinker.

if you dont go trijicon there are a number of other 1-4 and 1-6 optics with true 1x

sweeper22 01-01-2014 07:31 AM

Aimpoint > Eotech ...and I own an Eotech XPS-2, but not Aimpoint at the moment. So no bias to speak of. I've used both a bunch have many friends who depend on both. My Eotech is fine (and I'm keeping it for now), but if I were to do it over again...Aimpoint simply offers a more dependable product IMO. Almost everyone I know who works regularly with both has come to the conclusion that Aimpoint wins going away. And that includes an FBI trainer and Border Patrol armorer.

If you want to spend more, consider Trijicon. Also investigate the fixed 4x, 1-4x, 2-7x, etc type magnified scopes for this rifle.

JonM 01-01-2014 02:30 PM

if you go aimpoint or eotech and find you need some magnification for longer range shooting your going to spend another couple hundred on a magnifier.

when it comes to magnifier most cheap ones are like trying to look down a straw because the field of view is so damn small. the cheap ones also have extremely short eye relief the glass tends not to be very clear and light transmission is poor.

another issue with magnifiers is they are heavy and clumsy. they tend to throw the balance off either left or right when they are swung out of the way of the dot. either way you have them swing right or left or right your stuck with 2 or 3x and they still dont do a good job of replacing a decent scope.

if you get a decent one or a good one you end up in the total price range of a decent to very good to excellent 1-4 or 1-6 optic

once you add a magnifier between the cost of the rds or eotech your in scope range in price.

just my opinion.

purehavoc 01-01-2014 03:19 PM

Im sorry but I dont believe a .308 deserves to have a red dot on it . Its made to reeeaaaccchhhhh out there , even a 2 moa dot will be 8" @ 400 yards and 10" @ 500 . It deserves a quality scope of some sort. Acog, Nikon, Leupold ? And maybe some backup sights .In that 1-6 X range or up to 12x if you intend on distance shooting And not just limited to a red dot

broke-again124 01-01-2014 03:20 PM

I put a leupold mk6 1-6 on it. With an Alamo Four Star mount. Illuminated reticle. All that. That should do it.