Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red Dot Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
You're right. They are pricey. But how much is your life worth?

But my personal philosophy is that the optic should cost roughly the same as the rifle. So, if you spend $1100 on a Colt, I consider it reasonable to put a $1000-$1200 sight on it.

Over the years, my tastes have changed to fewer guns and optics, and higher quality guns and optics. Just my $.02
I'd love to have one of those RDS, Locutus, but, reality is, I got what I could at the moment. And my answer is, better to have one that you can afford than a cookie jar with $100.00 in it and no sight at the moment.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
I'd love to have one of those RDS, Locutus, but, reality is, I got what I could at the moment. And my answer is, better to have one that you can afford than a cookie jar with $100.00 in it and no sight at the moment.
No argument there. When I was younger, I bought several economy optics, and even guns.

But then I started the long, slow process of saving my money for upgrades. I sold a Colt Python to pay for my last ACOG.

Hated to give up my Python, but looking back, it was a good trade off, IMHO.

Good luck in building your collection in the future!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #23

I'll get there. Built a solid AR, and now I can start putting coins up for a good RDS on it. I'll do my next AR the same way. Build a solid rifle, then save for a quality optic.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Buy an eotech on eBay for about $300. I shoot with mine out to 200yds all the time. Then you can save for a magnifier if you wanna go farther out. :-)

Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyogre View Post
Buy an eotech on eBay for about $300. I shoot with mine out to 200yds all the time. Then you can save for a magnifier if you wanna go farther out. :-)
Give me a couple weeks and I'll have an EoTech on mine. Giving the PA RDS it's run through this week, so I'll have it analyzed come Wednesday at the latest for a full report, and an update on Tuesday.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Got questions!! How long did it take you to zero it out? How do you like it's cowitness with it? I like it right now, but that's without any rounds out of it. Is it holding zero?
No problems holding zero. And I really do use my guns as a tool and I do run them hard from time to time . I don't baby them and they arent safe queens . Co-witness is lower 1/3 which I like best because it give me more sight picture thru the rds . Nothing wrong with absolute , just doesn't fit my needs as well. I bore sighted it so in 10 shots it was on the money and has stayed there since

Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
No problems holding zero. And I really do use my guns as a tool and I do run them hard from time to time . I don't baby them and they arent safe queens . Co-witness is lower 1/3 which I like best because it give me more sight picture thru the rds . Nothing wrong with absolute , just doesn't fit my needs as well. I bore sighted it so in 10 shots it was on the money and has stayed there since
I appreciate that info Havoc. You'd think one of these companies that makes the low cost RDS's would get someone to go out and compete with them and flat out put them through some paces.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
I appreciate that info Havoc. You'd think one of these companies that makes the low cost RDS's would get someone to go out and compete with them and flat out put them through some paces.
The problem with this is they make more money off an acog or eotech , aimpoint so which do you think they wanna push first ? Not the china made PA stuff they make a quick $25 on , and I don't blame them . If I was worried about everyday battle I would have one of the big 3 on my rifle #1 because those all can take a beating and keep going even after being submerged , I wouldn't try that with my PA . For what most of us do they are perfect and more than worth what we pay for them , especially with a guy like marshall backing his stuff

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
The problem with this is they make more money off an acog or eotech , aimpoint so which do you think they wanna push first ? Not the china made PA stuff they make a quick $25 on , and I don't blame them . If I was worried about everyday battle I would have one of the big 3 on my rifle #1 because those all can take a beating and keep going even after being submerged , I wouldn't try that with my PA . For what most of us do they are perfect and more than worth what we pay for them , especially with a guy like marshall backing his stuff
Good point. Hadn't really thought of that until you just said it. If one wants a hardcore nut stomping, play in the mud and go snorkeling and shoot sharks RDS, then one will pony up the coin to get such.
Like I said, I will upgrade to one, but in the meantime, I have an RDS that I can move to each AR I build as I proceed, until I can upgrade that one's optics as well.
How far off was yours to zero when you first tried it out? I've read tons of remarks about them being zero'd just about dead on out of the box.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #30

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't forget economies of scale. I'd rather make $25 a unit, 100 times a day, than $250 10 times a week.