Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red Dot Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ryan, this would probably have gotten a lot more replies in the optics section than the AR, and I think those that viewed it and went off to another post felt that the answers provided were most suited for your usage.
If we didn't answer your questions, then just let us know what other information you feel you need.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Bushnell TRS25. Very light with decent battery life and will let you keep some seed money for the expensive red dots. You will need a short 3/4" riser to co witness.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Bushnell TRS25. Very light with decent battery life and will let you keep some seed money for the expensive red dots. You will need a short 3/4" riser to co witness.
Not to correct you, but would that be the .83"? I've heard good things on that RDS, too.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
Ryan, this would probably have gotten a lot more replies in the optics section than the AR, and I think those that viewed it and went off to another post felt that the answers provided were most suited for your usage.
If we didn't answer your questions, then just let us know what other information you feel you need.
Excellent point! Sorry of I came off as whining, certainly not my intention. To be honest, I think the recommendations made were very sound ones. I suppose I was expecting this topic to be a very opinionated one and that is what I was looking for. I have very limited experience with red dots and I was hoping with this many members that others would have many suggestions to research.

Either way, thank you all for the recommendations!

Ryan...RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Excellent point! Sorry of I came off as whining, certainly not my intention. To be honest, I think the recommendations made were very sound ones. I suppose I was expecting this topic to be a very opinionated one and that is what I was looking for. I have very limited experience with red dots and I was hoping with this many members that others would have many suggestions to research.

Either way, thank you all for the recommendations!

Ryan...RLTW!
Now, let me preface this with the caveat that I am one of the AR newbies here. Everything I state should be verified by one of the significantly more experienced members, who are easy to spot.
With a limited budget, you will find that you'll get pretty similar responses. You start talking higher end, it's pretty much the same, Eotech and Trijon will be mentioned often.
You can research as much as you want, which is strongly encouraged, but we're not going to recommend what reviewer X, Y or Z says, rather, what we've got experience with personally, as that is the marker that is used.
I bought mine after reviewing several of the RDS's I've read about on here, and settled for one that was A) In stock, B) Priced within my budget and C) Met all my needs. Not in that order, but all weighed in on the decision.
When I go play with it on Monday, Tuesday at the latest, I'll post a full range report on it.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

I like my PA micro dot ,Priced right , no issues in almost 2000 rds , Im not my second battery because it sat in the safe turned on for 8 days on high , otherwise Im sure I would still be on the same battery . And if you do have a issue Marshall will take care of it .

Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I like my PA micro dot ,Priced right , no issues in almost 2000 rds , Im not my second battery because it sat in the safe turned on for 8 days on high , otherwise Im sure I would still be on the same battery . And if you do have a issue Marshall will take care of it .
Got questions!! How long did it take you to zero it out? How do you like it's cowitness with it? I like it right now, but that's without any rounds out of it. Is it holding zero?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I have a TRS25 and have gone to a 1-4x24 scope with a 1moa red dot. The TRS25 worked perfectly but I wanted some magnification and the scope seemed the easiest route. It would not take much to set it back up again if I needed to. I am not an AR expert either and some of the experts will look down on my DPMS but I am happy with it. It has not failed to go bang yet. I believe my riser is 3/4" and it co witnessed with the dot on top of the front post but I did not mic it. Mine has a 4 rail gas block and I was using folders with the RDS.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #19

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

+1 for PA micro. Solid, great company, great optic that I would pay twice over for. It really held up, I went a little wild on it on my last shooting trip, came out working like a charm.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Youch!!! Those buggers get the pucker factor going!!! Do they clean the gun for you? Glad you like them, but those are way out of my budget.
You're right. They are pricey. But how much is your life worth?

But my personal philosophy is that the optic should cost roughly the same as the rifle. So, if you spend $1100 on a Colt, I consider it reasonable to put a $1000-$1200 sight on it.

Over the years, my tastes have changed to fewer guns and optics, and higher quality guns and optics. Just my $.02