Red Dot Help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Red Dot Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red Dot Help

So I would like to get a red dot for my AR. All my experience is with Aimpoint COMP M4's from the military. I know I will be castrated by my wife if I drop that kind of coin on a red dot so that is out of the running.

I was hoping that my Leatherwood CRM would be as fast as a red dot but it is not. I am selling that to my dad cheap with the stipulation that I get to use it for hunting season until I can complete my 6.8 build.

So I hear a lot of good talk about the Primary Arms optics and I am leaning that way. My question is which one. I would like as small a dot as possible and it looks like the micro has a 3 MOA dot. Is the only advantage to the micro the size and weight?

I started the build with bench shooting and close range hunting being the primary use but now that I have it, I realize that I really miss the practical shooting that I did in the military. So now I am basically stripping all of the weight and size off of the AR and making as light and manuverable as possible with out spending an arm and a leg to get there. I get the feeling that by the time I am done I would have been able to just build another!

I am open to other makes and models and even spending a bit more if needed, just as long as the extra expense is worth it in the long run.

I would like to be able to reach out to 300 yds with the red dot but to also be fast and accurate up close. I shoot about 200 rounds per trip to the range and usually go 2-3 times a month. I am sure that once I get the red dot I will be shooting more at each trip.

Thanks in advance!

Mala Malis Facimus

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 5601

Stick with the military Aimpoint.

Old Italian proverb:
"Cheapa U buy, cheapa U get."

Why waste good money on third rate products that fail when you need them.

Winston Churchill

Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Normally I would agree with you but I am not kicking doors or jumping out of airplanes or helicopters anymore! I guess what I am looking for is not third rate but I cant justify 1st rate for the use it will get. Believe me, if I had the money to get it that would definately be ther route I would go!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Hrm..........what will you do with all the leftover parts from your first build......I wonder......

Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My primary arms M4 is built pretty rugger and like a tank. I had a couple PA Micros ,one lost zero but was replaces under warranty quickly and without any fuss. Marshal has been hinting at a new model coming up...id keep my eyes peeled for that one.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 5601

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Normally I would agree with you but I am not kicking doors or jumping out of airplanes or helicopters anymore! I guess what I am looking for is not third rate but I cant justify 1st rate for the use it will get. Believe me, if I had the money to get it that would definately be ther route I would go!
A man's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Good luck with your red dot.

But think serously about throwing $10 in the sock drawer every pay day, and 3 or 4 years down the road, getting an ACOG TA31F.

It took me quite a few years of saving, but I now have an ACOG on all three of my ARs.

It was worth the wait!

Winston Churchill

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Youch!!! Those buggers get the pucker factor going!!! Do they clean the gun for you? Glad you like them, but those are way out of my budget.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check out lucid optics. I have no first hand experience with them but they seem to be getting good reviews. there is some good reviews on YouTube on them. Just a thought! They also make a 2x-5x magnifier that looks pretty sweet

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
My primary arms M4 is built pretty rugger and like a tank. I had a couple PA Micros ,one lost zero but was replaces under warranty quickly and without any fuss. Marshal has been hinting at a new model coming up...id keep my eyes peeled for that one.
Just ordered the MD-07 from Primary Arms, with the riser for mine. Should have it in two days.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #10

Thanks for the help gents! I kinda figured I would et more opinions though! Anyway, thanks for the replies!

Ryan...RLTW!

Mala Malis Facimus