Recoil reducing buffer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Recoil reducing buffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Recoil reducing buffer

Which is the best recoil reducing buffer. I heard MGI has a rate and recoil reducing buffer, I have a semi ar-15 will the MGI slow down the rate of fire or is that only with full auto AR's. I think everyone who has an AR knows the recoil is low and fun to shoot, but I want to be able to rapid fire and get all rounds on target as fast as possible. I have a commercial buffer it looks like an H1 buffer but it doesn't say anything. So does anyone know a good recoil reducing buffer (not a rate reducing buffer) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

If your buffer is not marked, it is NOT an "H" buffer. You can weight your buffer (take it to the post office, just the buffer, not the whole gun). A standard buffer is 3 oz. That will work just fine with 95% of the carbines out there. I run an "H" buffer in my Colt carbine and a 6 oz buffer in my 9mm carbine.

Rate reduction and felt recoil reduction are pretty much the same thing. If you want to spray ammo, train.

Expecting a mechanical device to correct your deficient skills is like installing a new steering wheel so you can safely drive 150 mph through school zones.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by assualtready070 View Post
Which is the best recoil reducing buffer. I heard MGI has a rate and recoil reducing buffer, I have a semi ar-15 will the MGI slow down the rate of fire or is that only with full auto AR's. I think everyone who has an AR knows the recoil is low and fun to shoot, but I want to be able to rapid fire and get all rounds on target as fast as possible. I have a commercial buffer it looks like an H1 buffer but it doesn't say anything. So does anyone know a good recoil reducing buffer (not a rate reducing buffer) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
The only mechanical benefit the spring loaded or hydraulic buffers have is if you have a short (under 16 inch) barrel. The cheaper AR's tend to have more jamming issues on those lengths. Other than that, I recommend using the buffer that came with your buttstock assembly. If you want to reduce the recoil when firing rapid fire, I suggest you get a buttstock pad. Or better yet, shoot fewer rounds per minute so you can stay on target. If you are talking about bumpfiring, then you want the extra recoil, as the recoil is what rocks the trigger back and forth across your finger. Without knowing what you really want to do, this is the best advise you will get.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you want to reduce recoil. Get a brake. Best bang for the buck.

Don't mess with your gun's timing unless you know what you're doing or don't mind problem solving and tinkering.

fsted2a Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 602 Times on 322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
If you want to reduce recoil. Get a brake. Best bang for the buck.

Don't mess with your gun's timing unless you know what you're doing or don't mind problem solving and tinkering.
I agree with AgentTikki, of you are worried about recoil, brake it.Try the Primary weapons FSC556, I have one.. My girl shoots my AR like its a 10/22. Beat muzzle device I have ever had. It's a hybrid muzzle device.

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 03-15-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

In my personal experience.......

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar15-muzzle-devices-ra-xtc-pws-fsc556-pws-tto-surefire-556k-ares-armor-effin-54781/

Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a spikes heavy buffer and a fishbone brake. I have very little felt recoil.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I use a jP enterprise silent captured buffer spring. Research them and I think it will be just what your looking for. Its a direct replacement of your factory buffer and spring that reduces recoil and takes away that thud feeling when you shoot. It allows more rapid fire while staying on target, without affecting any of the rifles general function.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #9

My vote would be a combination of a good muzzle brake and a buttstock pad for recoil reduction. I can see the timing change causing out of battery firing if you start playing around with the buffer, and that is a bad thing.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrow175 View Post
I use a jP enterprise silent captured buffer spring. Research them and I think it will be just what your looking for. Its a direct replacement of your factory buffer and spring that reduces recoil and takes away that thud feeling when you shoot. It allows more rapid fire while staying on target, without affecting any of the rifles general function.
If I were going the route of using a JP buffer and spring combo, I would go ahead and get their BCG and buttstock assembly too. From what I have read in other forums, they are all balanced to go together. Just my .02. I beleive in keeping the buttstock assembly (buttstock, buffer, spring, and tube) together.