Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Rear steel in yards? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rear-steel-yards-53178/)

tsully85 12-08-2011 04:55 AM

Rear steel in yards?

I've been checking every gun parts site and using every combo of wording I can think of in various search engines trying to find steel sights, preferably back-up or at least detachable no biggie either way, that are calibrated in yards not friggin meters. I know the military uses meters, and it's easy enough to convert the units, but seriously? It's just annoying, this is America, we think in football fields, or at least I do. Anyway, I want to use my AR for long range service rifle matches, and they shoot out to 600 YARDS. Does anybody know a manufacturer of such a thing?

EW1066 12-08-2011 06:32 AM

Try this

Diamondhead Premium Flip-Up Front "Auto-Ranger" Combat Sight™ | For M4/AR15/M16 | 600yd AR-BDC

That's all I could find.....but it seems to fill the bill.

Good luck

EDUB

tsully85 12-09-2011 02:15 AM

Wow, how'd google become a fortune 500 company lol? I spent a good hour looking for something like that. That may actually do the trick, the sight post looks good enough for target shooting. I just hope the preset ranges coincide well with my setup, 18" barrel, think I'll get one and give it a whirl. Thank you.

EW1066 12-09-2011 02:52 AM

You are very welcome. Good luck!

EDUB

AgentTikki 12-09-2011 03:47 PM

I love em. But 600 yards with irons?

Wow. My eyes are not that good.

Sniper03 12-09-2011 07:15 PM

One other thing to consider, is that a lot of service rifle competition rules do not allow any modifications that are not approved and are deviations from items that are equipment on a normal service rifle. Just something to check out before purchasing items for your match gun. I know for Camp Perry Rock River makes a removable A-2 Style Rear Sight Assembly that is adjustable for 600 as well as closer ranges. Removable A-2 Style Rear Sight Assemblies for example were only approved for Perry a few years ago. Before that the rifles had to have the traditional fixed A-2 Rear Sight on the Receiver. Your club competition rules might not be as strict as Camp Perry. Information only!

tsully85 12-10-2011 04:24 AM

I'll have to check out that Rock River sight too. I am brand new to competitive shooting, I was thinking the same thing actually, as far as modifications. I'll definately ask and make sure, but I think I'm good to go for at least some of the matches. I'm going to be joining a Marine Corps League Auxilliary group, my dad told me about it, he was a Marine in Nam, apparently they allow non-Marines to join and help out with Toys For Tots and the Rifle Team-awsomeness. From what my dad's been telling me they have different matches for AR's, M-14 (M1A), Garands, they might even go back as far as the '03 Springfield. I've got an M1A, love it by the way, steel sights are so good I can take out 20 oz soda bottles at 200 pretty consistantly anyway, so I'm covered for that. I'm hoping since they hold whole matches for AR's that the rules aren't as strict as Camp Perry and I'm not the only one showing up with fancy sights and a free float barrel. I think they also have some matches where you can use any of the above, kinda like a CMP match, so I'd like to get as much use out of my AR as possibe for all the obvious reasons... Lighter, therefor easier to shoot standing (at least I think) and cheaper ammo. Either way it should be fun, I'd be happy enough just to be hitting the target anywhere at 600 yards a year from now. I know that's rough, but I think a 18" barrel with some descent ammo's up to the task. Plus I decided to switch from a 10" free float hand guard to a 14" at the last minute with this in mind. Trying to increase my sight radius as much as possible. I figure that should make it about the same as an M-16. Maybe I'm crazy, open to suggestions.

JonM 12-10-2011 04:53 AM

my two copper worth:

dont get too wrapped up in the markings. meters/yards neither is going to line up with the round or load(if your handloading which is reeeeeeeeeally good for competing) and act as a bdc.

the markings in meters/yards is to hit man sized targets at the given setting. its not anywhere accurate enough for competition. they are designed to hit minute of enemy soldier not minute of angle. big difference in application.

ive got a RRA NM A2 and the sights have no markings. the clicks adjust in 1/4moa increments. what lots of folks do once they settle on an accurate load is mark the elevation dial and reciever with witness marks to count rotation and return to zero.

one other thing. light weight and short barrel is the enemy to longrange service rifle shooting. service rifle competition people often add lead weights under the handguards to increase the weight which decreases the wobble in the sights when your doing a proper slingwrap. your not humping it through the brush so weight is your friend not your enemy. most service rifle requires 20" barrels which is also your friend to get out to 600yds accurately. 16" barrels just dont cut it at that range

my nm a2 upper swaps out with my 458 socom, 45acp and A1 uppers. im prolly going to build out a light weight carbine upper for it at some point.

tsully85 12-10-2011 06:04 AM

Definately food for thought. I was thinking lighter is easier cause you can tuck it into your shoulder nice and tight and hold it steady with less effort, but you have a point. A little more weight should dampen out the oscillation. You really think the extra 2" of barrel makes that much of a difference? I figure an 18 should stabilize the bullet pleanty and wring most of the potential velocity out of a 5.56. I don't reload, which brings up another question; would Black Hills 77 grain be too heavy for that far out? Wasn't sure if I should use that or maybe a 65 grain. Either way they wont be close enough to steel sights calibrated for 62 grain for target shooting huh. So I've learned that my initial post looking for help finding sights calibrated in yards was pretty pointless. They could be calibrated in cubits and it wouldn't really matter, you just want something with fine enough adjustment increments to get on target with your specific ammo/rifle combo. Okay, all this stuff that was bouncing around in the back of my head is starting to make a lot of sense. Looks like I have a lot of shooting to do just to get on target past 300 yards, that doesn't suck. Thanks guys.