Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rear flip up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 349 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
So my super wife ordered me a BCM 14.5" flat top middy with fsb !!! Shhhhhh I'm not suppose to know!! Doesn't come with rear sight. Was looking at the Diamondhead. Wondering if any one here has one or has used one, and their thoughts about the diamond shape peep. I tried looking thru one at LGS but hard to develop a real opinion with it not being mounted.
I think the Diamond head allows for easier centering of your front sight post inside the rear aperture. I still use the regular round aperture but there's nothing wrong with the Diamond head.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

image-3323744566.jpg

Troys on my DDM4 no complaints... Go for it

Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Matech sights can still be found on Epay for about $40. and it is as good a sight as any priced much higher. As indicated Magpul sights are "outta sight" (could not resist that one) rugged, easy to adjust and stay on zero.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
I have magpul mbus on one of my rifles and they do work perfectly, just saw the diamondhead at the LGS and liked the look so I gave them a real look see. They feel pretty stout, lock into the flipped up position securely, but couldn't decide if I liked the shape of the peep. Lets face it when you have been using sights with a round hole in them for as long as most of us have anything different is strange. Not strange bad just different. So I figured I'd ask the people here their experience with them. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on the sights, but I don't want to spend it twice.
Get whatever will serve you best. Your money, your rifle. I've had Troys, Daniel Defense, Rock River, and PSA metal sights. They all worked quite well. But I found Magpul MBUS to be more practical (for my tastes) than any of them...and the fact that they're lighter, less expensive, and available in several colors is just a nice bonus. I'm also a fan of their durability and ergonomic design.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
I have magpul mbus on one of my rifles and they do work perfectly, just saw the diamondhead at the LGS and liked the look so I gave them a real look see. They feel pretty stout, lock into the flipped up position securely, but couldn't decide if I liked the shape of the peep. Lets face it when you have been using sights with a round hole in them for as long as most of us have anything different is strange. Not strange bad just different. So I figured I'd ask the people here their experience with them. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on the sights, but I don't want to spend it twice.
They (Diamond, have more than the diamond shape sight). CT, do you plan on putting a scope or red dot of some kind on there as well, or keep it iron sights???

If getting a scope some day down the road, I'd go with the magpul polymer kind and save the money.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #16

Liked 431 Times on 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

They (Diamond, have more than the diamond shape sight). CT, do you plan on putting a scope or red dot of some kind on there as well, or keep it iron sights???

If getting a scope some day down the road, I'd go with the magpul polymer kind and save the money.
Yes an optic is in the future, but that is going to be a while down the road. That is going to be a real hard decision.

So your saying save the money and put towards an optic.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
What kinda optic do you want?

There are some inexpensive ones that are abolsute junk, and then there are those that are high performing values. I have both cheap and relatively expensive optics, and have been quite happy with the performance of Vortex red dots ($100-200) and Nikon ProStaff magnified scopes ($140-220).

I actually like my Vortex RD sights about as well as the EoTech XPS2-0 that I paid $500 for, and would struggle to offer any good reason to go the EoTech route. I paid $120-180 for each of my Vortex RDS.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Yes an optic is in the future, but that is going to be a while down the road. That is going to be a real hard decision.

Im saying buy the magpuls, they are good, (unless you have a gas block on the front and shoot magazines as fast as you can pull the trigger, (then never get the magpul plastic ones)

For iron sights, I prefer my Diamondbacks over my friends magpuls, but I also have a 3x9x4 vortex scope, and an aimpoint for it, and now that the irons are sighted in, they generally are in the down position all the time.

And for the guys who are going to say learn the irons, if shtf came out, id choose my Ak or Galil over my Ar any day of the week. And both those have Iron sights and I know I am better at those irons than my scoped AR.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 12-01-2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Anna is right about the Galil. For iron sights on an AR, the best I have used are HK's, but they cost over 200 euros for the back sights only.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #20

Liked 431 Times on 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22

What kinda optic do you want?

There are some inexpensive ones that are abolsute junk, and then there are those that are high performing values. I have both cheap and relatively expensive optics, and have been quite happy with the performance of Vortex red dots ($100-200) and Nikon ProStaff magnified scopes ($140-220).

I actually like my Vortex RD sights about as well as the EoTech XPS2-0 that I paid $500 for, and would struggle to offer any good reason to go the EoTech route. I paid $120-180 for each of my Vortex RDS.
Will be getting a red dot, manufacturer still to be determined. The list includes, but is not limited to Eotech, aim point , vortex, hell the truglo on my m&p 15 is still holding zero after several months, a couple thousand rounds.

The optic choice when it comes is going to be a tedious one. Going to want something light, sturdy, and am not going to want to take a mortgage out to buy it.