Rear flip up
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rear flip up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Default Rear flip up

So my super wife ordered me a BCM 14.5" flat top middy with fsb !!! Shhhhhh I'm not suppose to know!! Doesn't come with rear sight. Was looking at the Diamondhead. Wondering if any one here has one or has used one, and their thoughts about the diamond shape peep. I tried looking thru one at LGS but hard to develop a real opinion with it not being mounted.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
So my super wife ordered me a BCM 14.5" flat top middy with fsb !!! Shhhhhh I'm not suppose to know!! Doesn't come with rear sight. Was looking at the Diamondhead. Wondering if any one here has one or has used one, and their thoughts about the diamond shape peep. I tried looking thru one at LGS but hard to develop a real opinion with it not being mounted.
have both the standard and the diamond shaped rear sights that came with my Windham. I prefer the Diamond (star) shaped sight for faster acquisition.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2602 Times on 1270 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

ct,

I am assuming it is going to be registered as an SBR or has a Comp. or Flash Hider permanently attached to make it a legal 16" inch barrel and not an SBR. I have a set of Diamond Sights and like you, the verdict is out. Seems to be awful busy to me if that makes sense. Too many angles in front of my eyes! KInd of distracting to me. Maybe this is just due to the fact I have been shooting traditional irons for so long? But I do agree with Anna it seems to be a little faster?

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
ct,

I am assuming it is going to be registered as an SBR or has a Comp. or Flash Hider permanently attached to make it a legal 16" inch barrel and not an SBR. I have a set of Diamond Sights and like you, the verdict is out. Seems to be awful busy to me if that makes sense. Too many angles in front of my eyes! KInd of distracting to me. Maybe this is just due to the fact I have been shooting traditional irons for so long? But I do agree with Anna it seems to be a little faster?

By looking with both eyes, on the target and not the sight, the points on the diamond make it much faster for me to aim and fire. Instead of trying to line the hole to the post and then move to the target.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

It has a comp pined and welded ( the laws in my state don't allow for threaded barrels so even if it were a 16" it would have to be welded) (flash hiders are against the rules here as well)

I think the fact that it was just different was really throwing me off, so I held off buying till I could post here about it. I respect the opinions of the folks here, and I like to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks for the input, but please anyone else that has or has used the sight please keep the comments coming.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have a set of diamond head sights , they are decent but they dont function any different than a set of Magpuls . Honestly I prefer the magpuls ,

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 11-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't skimp on quality, but go ahead and save yourself some money and weight. In other words, I advise Magpul MBUS. They're $40-50 delivered, tough as nails, totally functional with a simple and ergonomic design, and widely available. They just plain work in every way...and I've tried spendier options.

There are many other very good fixed and flip rear sights. Not much competes at the same price though. If you have no optics and no intention to add them, advantage to a fixed rear sight. But if this is a rifle with magnified optics or a RDS, flip sights make more sense.

Magpuls can be found at great prices on EBay or Amazon (take care to be sure you're not bidding on the PTS versions). If you're in the market for other AR stuff, PSA often has excellent package deals that include MBUS sights. I just bought a Magpul MBUS F/R combo for $65 delivered off EBay...like 30 seconds ago.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quite impressed with my Troys

Old 11-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
Don't skimp on quality, but go ahead and save yourself some money and weight. In other words, I advise Magpul MBUS. They're $40-50 delivered, tough as nails, totally functional with a simple and ergonomic design, and widely available. They just plain work in every way...and I've tried spendier options.

There are many other very good fixed and flip rear sights. Not much competes at the same price though. If you have no optics and no intention to add them, advantage to a fixed rear sight. But if this is a rifle with magnified optics or a RDS, flip sights make more sense.

Magpuls can be found at great prices on EBay or Amazon (take care to be sure you're not bidding on the PTS versions). If you're in the market for other AR stuff, PSA often has excellent package deals that include MBUS sights. I just bought a Magpul MBUS F/R combo for $65 delivered off EBay...like 30 seconds ago.
I have magpul mbus on one of my rifles and they do work perfectly, just saw the diamondhead at the LGS and liked the look so I gave them a real look see. They feel pretty stout, lock into the flipped up position securely, but couldn't decide if I liked the shape of the peep. Lets face it when you have been using sights with a round hole in them for as long as most of us have anything different is strange. Not strange bad just different. So I figured I'd ask the people here their experience with them. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on the sights, but I don't want to spend it twice.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Best rear sight on the market is the matech rear sight as issued on govt m4's. Second best is the magpul mbus for its simplicity and ruggedness. Even though the magpul is mostly plastic its more damage resistant than steel steel sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...