Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Rear flip up (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rear-flip-up-100955/)

ctshooter 11-29-2013 09:23 PM

Rear flip up

So my super wife ordered me a BCM 14.5" flat top middy with fsb !!! Shhhhhh I'm not suppose to know!! Doesn't come with rear sight. Was looking at the Diamondhead. Wondering if any one here has one or has used one, and their thoughts about the diamond shape peep. I tried looking thru one at LGS but hard to develop a real opinion with it not being mounted.

Anna_Purna 11-29-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctshooter (Post 1444501)
So my super wife ordered me a BCM 14.5" flat top middy with fsb !!! Shhhhhh I'm not suppose to know!! Doesn't come with rear sight. Was looking at the Diamondhead. Wondering if any one here has one or has used one, and their thoughts about the diamond shape peep. I tried looking thru one at LGS but hard to develop a real opinion with it not being mounted.

have both the standard and the diamond shaped rear sights that came with my Windham. I prefer the Diamond (star) shaped sight for faster acquisition.

Sniper03 11-29-2013 10:38 PM

ct,

I am assuming it is going to be registered as an SBR or has a Comp. or Flash Hider permanently attached to make it a legal 16" inch barrel and not an SBR. I have a set of Diamond Sights and like you, the verdict is out. Seems to be awful busy to me if that makes sense. Too many angles in front of my eyes! KInd of distracting to me. Maybe this is just due to the fact I have been shooting traditional irons for so long? But I do agree with Anna it seems to be a little faster? :confused:

Anna_Purna 11-29-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1444538)
ct,

I am assuming it is going to be registered as an SBR or has a Comp. or Flash Hider permanently attached to make it a legal 16" inch barrel and not an SBR. I have a set of Diamond Sights and like you, the verdict is out. Seems to be awful busy to me if that makes sense. Too many angles in front of my eyes! KInd of distracting to me. Maybe this is just due to the fact I have been shooting traditional irons for so long? But I do agree with Anna it seems to be a little faster? :confused:

By looking with both eyes, on the target and not the sight, the points on the diamond make it much faster for me to aim and fire. Instead of trying to line the hole to the post and then move to the target.

ctshooter 11-29-2013 10:51 PM

It has a comp pined and welded ( the laws in my state don't allow for threaded barrels so even if it were a 16" it would have to be welded) (flash hiders are against the rules here as well)

I think the fact that it was just different was really throwing me off, so I held off buying till I could post here about it. I respect the opinions of the folks here, and I like to get as many opinions as possible.

Thanks for the input, but please anyone else that has or has used the sight please keep the comments coming.

purehavoc 11-29-2013 11:12 PM

I have a set of diamond head sights , they are decent but they dont function any different than a set of Magpuls . Honestly I prefer the magpuls ,

sweeper22 11-30-2013 05:27 AM

Don't skimp on quality, but go ahead and save yourself some money and weight. In other words, I advise Magpul MBUS. They're $40-50 delivered, tough as nails, totally functional with a simple and ergonomic design, and widely available. They just plain work in every way...and I've tried spendier options.

There are many other very good fixed and flip rear sights. Not much competes at the same price though. If you have no optics and no intention to add them, advantage to a fixed rear sight. But if this is a rifle with magnified optics or a RDS, flip sights make more sense.

Magpuls can be found at great prices on EBay or Amazon (take care to be sure you're not bidding on the PTS versions). If you're in the market for other AR stuff, PSA often has excellent package deals that include MBUS sights. I just bought a Magpul MBUS F/R combo for $65 delivered off EBay...like 30 seconds ago.

chloeshooter 11-30-2013 10:42 AM

Quite impressed with my Troys

ctshooter 11-30-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweeper22
Don't skimp on quality, but go ahead and save yourself some money and weight. In other words, I advise Magpul MBUS. They're $40-50 delivered, tough as nails, totally functional with a simple and ergonomic design, and widely available. They just plain work in every way...and I've tried spendier options.

There are many other very good fixed and flip rear sights. Not much competes at the same price though. If you have no optics and no intention to add them, advantage to a fixed rear sight. But if this is a rifle with magnified optics or a RDS, flip sights make more sense.

Magpuls can be found at great prices on EBay or Amazon (take care to be sure you're not bidding on the PTS versions). If you're in the market for other AR stuff, PSA often has excellent package deals that include MBUS sights. I just bought a Magpul MBUS F/R combo for $65 delivered off EBay...like 30 seconds ago.

I have magpul mbus on one of my rifles and they do work perfectly, just saw the diamondhead at the LGS and liked the look so I gave them a real look see. They feel pretty stout, lock into the flipped up position securely, but couldn't decide if I liked the shape of the peep. Lets face it when you have been using sights with a round hole in them for as long as most of us have anything different is strange. Not strange bad just different. So I figured I'd ask the people here their experience with them. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on the sights, but I don't want to spend it twice.

JonM 11-30-2013 12:52 PM

Best rear sight on the market is the matech rear sight as issued on govt m4's. Second best is the magpul mbus for its simplicity and ruggedness. Even though the magpul is mostly plastic its more damage resistant than steel steel sights.