Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rear BUIS, folding vs fixed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 669 Times on 343 Posts

Default Rear BUIS, folding vs fixed

Making the final plans for my AR, I really think the LMT BUIS looks like a nice piece of equipment but the DD is probably enough for me. I'm strictly looking for opinions here folks, please don't mess me up with facts... LOL, just kidding. What I really want is a quality rear sight that doesn't break the bank and I can learn to shoot with the right way and I "think" a fixed is the way I want to go.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got a folding RRA front sight and an A.R.M.S. 40L flip-up rear sight backing up my TA31F ACOG. They both are very robust and perform well.

I don't exactly know what you mean by "learn to shoot right", but I know I have as much fun shooting the irons as I do the ACOG, and was amazed how accurate the irons can be. I can see the fixed sights if you're co-witnessing a red-dot or EOTech, but unless you're shooting irons only I wouldn't dismiss a quality folding rear sight.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #3

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Will you be using the ranging capability of the LMT? If so then it's a great sight and next to indestructible. I cut off a carry handle to get the same thing but much cheaper. It was fun to use the IBZ and RIBZ zero but honestly I don't do that anymore. If you're not sure then I'd get a flip up sight like the MBUS since you'll only invest $55-60. The LMT is nice but it's a big chunk of metal and expensive.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5192 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 4411

I'd suggest a folding sight. Sooner or later you'll want an optical sight, and the folding sight facilitates that.

Golda Meier.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE="

I don't exactly know what you mean by "learn to shoot right", but I know I have as much fun shooting the irons as I do the ACOG, [/QUOTE]

I haven't pulled the trigger on a firearm in 15 years so I want a rear sight with all of the proper adjustments. I plan to go blast through a couple hundred rounds blowing off steam, then maybe find someone to teach me how to shoot correctly. From what I understand a quality iron setup is as good a setup as a thousand dollar tacticool setup. I'm cross dominant but better than 20/20 out of both eyes so I may as well learn to shoot with irons while I still can. The DD is half the price of the LMT, anyone have experience with it?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

The DD is a quality sight but I still think the average person will be sorry not going with a flip up.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
The DD is a quality sight but I still think the average person will be sorry not going with a flip up.
Then you think the magpul is good enough or do you have another suggestion. I don't mind spending a couple more dollars but would prefer not to spend double.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #8

The MBUS 2 is fine. i have three (in use with RDS) and about to get a fourth.

As far as other suggestions, I've used the LMT style, carry handle and others but can't fault the MBUS.

______