Really quick help!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Really quick help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Explain to me how the heck you're gonna look through that optic?!?!?!
Really easily

image-165598839.jpg

You can see through it perfectly

Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts

Not that you asked but, I would suggest selling the red dot and possibly getting a scope for the carry handle rail. The carry handle co- witnessing with your red dot negates any advantage a red dot gives you(parallax free, both eyes open). The irons don't have a bright red light but will serve the same purpose. The scope on top would add magnification for further shots. Also, getting rid of unnecessary weight up front is always a good thing. Personally, I would also swap the two piece quad rail for an MOE with polymer rail sections, again to minimize forward weight.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2450 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1
Not that you asked but, I would suggest selling the red dot and possibly getting a scope for the carry handle rail. The carry handle co- witnessing with your red dot negates any advantage a red dot gives you(parallax free, both eyes open). The irons don't have a bright red light but will serve the same purpose. The scope on top would add magnification for further shots. Also, getting rid of unnecessary weight up front is always a good thing. Personally, I would also swap the two piece quad rail for an MOE with polymer rail sections, again to minimize forward weight.
And your solution for low light encounters would be...........?

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #14

Liked 2442 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Congrats on the rifle. I like an A1 configuration as a keep it simple platform. I had less than pleasant experience with Olympic. Hopefully they have improved.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #15

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
red dot won't help much in low light anyway. Your eye will naturally focus on the dot making it harder to see the target that is already hard to see in the dark anyway. Best option for low light. Flash light or go big and get nv

Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15
red dot won't help much in low light anyway. Your eye will naturally focus on the dot making it harder to see the target that is already hard to see in the dark anyway. Best option for low light. Flash light or go big and get nv
...you've never used an optic with an adjustable reticle and a mounted light have you?

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1
I agree with the red dot co-witnessing the sights on the handle. The purpose of a red dot is fast target acquisition. Co-witnessing it with fixed sights just brings you bak to square one. Only now you have a little red light annoying the crap out of you. I do however like red dots I opt for the red dot and x3 magnifier on a flip mount. Best of both worlds.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

My solution for low light encounters is usually..........light. Unless its the type of low light encounter initiated by the wife. Then the solution is a little different.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #19

Quote:
...you've never used an optic with an adjustable reticle and a mounted light have you?
nope. Because common seance tells me it doesn't work to well so iv never tried. I never said anything about using it that way.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15
nope. Because common seance tells me it doesn't work to well so iv never tried. I never said anything about using it that way.
"Common sense" is wrong. Standard setup for our entire agency is some form of a red dot sight and a mounted light. We use several different ones, all have adjustable brightness. Neither myself nor any of the guys I work with have ever experienced anything remotely like what you are talking about with or without the mounted flashlight engaged.

The flashlight affects night vision WAY more than the red dot when it's properly adjusted. What IS basically impossible is getting any kind of sight picture at all with iron sights in low light. Unless you are backlit. In which case you are also a silhouette.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-20-2013 at 07:07 PM.