Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Real iron sight (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/real-iron-sight-90958/)

ArrizX 05-20-2013 04:53 AM

Real iron sight

Not thrilled about my magpul rear flip up sight. Not sure what would be better, not sure what I want but I want to keep it iron sights. What different rear sight would anyone suggest?

JonM 05-20-2013 05:14 AM

Matech hands down. Next best thing to an A2 rear.

Rra makes the best non folding bolt on and non bolt on target type sights by far.

But whatever rear you get is only going to be as good as your front. While magpul yhm noveske and other flipups are good enough for combat purposes they arent anywhere near what i would personally call adequate for iron sight target shooting

ArrizX 05-20-2013 05:28 AM

Its a totally bone stock CMMG ar-15. Its not going to be forever, but its got the standard I think A2 front sight post/gas block. I have toyed with the idea of putting a low profile gas block on and a rifle length handguard to increase the sight radius but have not decided yet.

Would you mind explaining how doing anything other than the standard sight post would be a better front sight?

duddie10 05-20-2013 11:45 AM

Diamondhead makes a real nice rear sight check it out.

JonM 05-20-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrizX (Post 1252235)
Its a totally bone stock CMMG ar-15. Its not going to be forever, but its got the standard I think A2 front sight post/gas block. I have toyed with the idea of putting a low profile gas block on and a rifle length handguard to increase the sight radius but have not decided yet.

Would you mind explaining how doing anything other than the standard sight post would be a better front sight?

The a2 front sight is the best one for any purpose. Its sturdy with nothing that can really go wrong with it. Anything that damages that sight base is likely going to be enough force to disable the gun.

In terms of accuracy you lose a lot by going to a detachable front sight on a rail. Rails bend and flex and a good wack can ruin your sight alignment easily.

To gain precision you go to a smaller sight post price runs between 2-10$ for a smaller sight post. The reason this helps is the post doesnt block as much ofthe target at range. The further out you go the more each hundredth of an inch matters.

When your at three hundred or more yards you stop putting the post in the center of the target and start putting the target in the center of the post. The smaller the post the easier that task becomes.

Now in your case you have a cmmg im assuming carbine and assuming your using it for ohsht, home defense and general plinking. With such a setup i would personaly just slap a matech rear on it and possibly put on a smaller diameter front sight post. Going to a longer handguard and getting the larger sight radius is kinda counter productive, purely in my opinion. I say this because your going to be forced to use a less than precise detachable front all of which have various ammounts of wobble from shot to shot and your putting it on a flexing handguard that is also changing from shot to shot.

While that setup is perfectly fine for hitting minute of goblin its a wash or worse for accurate shooting.

It sounds like your wanting a target solution out of a upper thats best for defense and plinking.

ArrizX 05-20-2013 03:58 PM

Great information, I appreciate it alot. Thats exactly what I will do!

Quentin 05-20-2013 04:03 PM

I agree with JonM, a lot of people make a big mistake when swapping out the A2 FSB on a basic AR. You might want to try an optic along with the MBUS you already have. Otherwise the Matech is a great choice and not that expensive.

ArrizX 05-20-2013 04:54 PM

When you say optic what do you mean? Like a magnifier?

My m&p15 has a strike fire on it i was just trying to keep this one a little more basic, but open to just about anything, thanks!

JonM 05-20-2013 05:16 PM

We tend to use optic to cover any sighting device that isnt fixed sights. Optic covers everything from acogs to reddots to scopes to holosights.

j4454 05-20-2013 05:29 PM

I like Daniel defense fixed rear. The troy line arent cheap but I prefer steel.