Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ready to build AR. JD help!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ready-build-ar-jd-help-35637/)

Scottyboy 12-16-2010 12:18 AM

Ready to build AR. JD help!!!

I am ready to build ar. Use will be plinker and coyote gun. Want to know some good lower receivers for starters! Don't know much about black rifles but I have read that to build instead of buy will be beneficial to learning the weapon and will save some pennies!! Any suggestions??

Quentin 12-16-2010 01:44 AM

Well I'm not JD but maybe I can help until he drops in. Welcome and I think you'll like it here!

I would look at the stickies and build threads to see what components others chose and why they did. As far as stripped lowers go, most are plenty adequate. Go with names you know and you'll be fine. This is just my preference but I'd pay a little more for a rollmark I really like or one that's well known. The difference in price for most stripped lowers is peanuts compared to the total cost of the rifle and a good name stamped on the receiver will increase the AR's value and your fondness for YOUR rifle.

I chose S&W for my first lower then ArmaLite. The Smith is a better lower but I like both for their names and history. My son in law chose Charles Daly because he was born in Harrisburg, PA and liked his hometown stamped on his lower. Lots of reasons to choose and only you can decide.

Oh, be sure you feel up to building an AR. It's not hard but you do need to research components, be good with your hands, take your time and do the build properly. Most people who start a build are able to do it.

Dillinger 12-16-2010 02:14 AM

I am no expert here. I am just someone who is vocal about people building their own, because it gives them a much better understanding of how the system operates. Building used to be MUCH cheaper, but lately the AR's have been flying off the shelves because of great pricing.

Quentin, for the record, is VERY knowledgeable about the platform and should definitely be consulted for the good information he possesses. He won't steer you wrong.

The lower receiver is one of the easier parts to buy. Pretty much any name brand made in the US is going to do you just fine. Billet is going to be much more expensive, and is not really required unless you want bragging rights at the range. :rolleyes:

A good quality lower is pretty easy to come by, there are even vendors here that sell some great ones.

As long as you don't fine one priced at $49.99 on clearance from Bubba's Tire World and AR Center, you should be good to go. ;)

JD

ktmboyz 12-16-2010 09:56 PM

I will also throw a vote in for Smith and Wesson M&P lowers.. I now have three of em and I really like the fit and finish of their products. My first AR was a M&P orc that I purchased complete the others I have built.. I have one stag and its fine, I just really like the looks on the M&P stamp on the side lol

Del ton has some good priced rifle kits ans seem to be pretty good quality. I have a couple friends that have gotten things from them and the quality seems to be right there!! You can get rifle kits with everything minus the stripped lower for like $465

good luck on your first build and post up some pics !! !

Squirrel_Slayer 12-16-2010 09:59 PM

Del Ton's prices are right but be prepared to wait for 6 months to get your kit in the mail! Check out J & T Distributing. They hand build and test fire their Doublstar uppers and are right in line or cheaper than Del Ton. Ordered mine and got it UPS ten days later.

Quentin 12-16-2010 10:58 PM

Scotty, you've probably seen it but if not - don't miss JD's sticky above "How To: Build an AR Lower Receiver". Very in depth and should get you through the process quick. No better guide anywhere - like having an old pro watching over your shoulder and keeping you out of trouble. Well, not so old actually. :p

MrMilspecer 12-17-2010 12:24 AM

I recomended this to a friend. Del-Ton AR-15 M4 COMPLETE Rifle Kit [DTI-15] - $499.00 : Cold Hand Arms, LLC, Only From Our Cold-Dead Hands Were both short on cash or would have ordered one already.

Jpyle 12-17-2010 01:25 AM

This could make things a bit more interesting...

Bushmaster 6.8SPC UP ASMBL $474.00 SHIPS FREE

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...1/62/62254.jpg

mjkeat 12-17-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 404405)

Does that come with BCG and CH?

spittinfire 12-17-2010 02:51 PM

If you go the stripped upper route, let me know. I've got one I'm not using.