Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > re-loading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default re-loading

looking for successful recipies for .223. shooting kel-tec plr-16. mostly want to drive tacks!!
thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1073 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 608

25.1gr of h335 with Winchester 55gr fmj. Cci primer . Does good for me

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5114 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

depends on the twist rate of your barrel. my RRA has a 20inch barrel with a 1:8 twist and it LOVES sierra 69grn hpbt matchkings over 24 grains of varget

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #4

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrhino123 View Post
looking for successful recipies for .223. shooting kel-tec plr-16. mostly want to drive tacks!!
thx
If you want to "drive tacks" then you have to pay for it. That means quality bullets like Sierra, Nosler etc. Cheap bullets are cheap for a reason and will not drive tacks. I believe your Kel-Tec is a 1-in-9 twist, so it should stabilize most bullets from 50 to 69 grains. For "driving tacks" I would suggest Sierra 53gr Match and 748, CFE223, Tac, X-t/2230 or just about any other powder that works for the 223. What I'm saying is the first thing you need to load tack driving ammo is a tack driving bullet, cheap FMJ's ain't it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

if you really want to drive tacks, forget the sierras, noslers, and hornadys. Check out what the benchrest guys are shooting. 1/10th of an inch 5shot groups at 100 yds sound more like what you're looking for? You need to be looking for barts and berger bullets. I'm warning you. Bullets are NOT enough. Properly sized to your chamber LAPUA brass, cci benchrest primers, and some vihtavourhi (spelling?) powder are gonna be what you need. Ohh, and a $5-6k rifle not counting scope will have you there. Pillar bedded and blueprinted stolle or bat action set in a mcmillan stock and piped through a shilen or kreiger barrel and topped with a fixed 36x leupold is what you're gonna be looking for. Don't forget the 2oz jewel trigger too. And you're gonna need a good rest and some sandbags too.

It all depends on what "tack driving" means to you. Sub inch at 100yds? Half inch? Quarter? Tenth? Each has different requirements from gun, ammo, optic, and shooter in order to achieve that level of accuracy.

I'm confident that quarter inch groups and larger can be accomplished with a semi auto if the shooter is willing to put the time and money into it. 1/10th inch is bolt action territory.

Last edited by ryguy00; 08-06-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

And every barrels gonna be different, so you'll have to experiment till you find one that your gun likes.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I'm sorry,but your Kel-tec PLR-16 pistol will never be a tack driver.You can build some good tailored loads for them,but the short pistol barrel length really affects their accuracy at ranges over 50 yards.
I've had one for several years,and have handloaded many different bullets/powders/primer combinations.If you find a load that shoot's anywhere close to 1moa you have a winner.Most will be around 1.5-2moa with these guns.
They are very fun to shoot,but they are not a "Tack Driver" by any means.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #8

Quote:
short pistol barrel length really affects their accuracy at ranges over 50 yards.
Barrel length affects a lot of things, things like velocity, muzzle lift, sight picture, etc., but accuracy is not usually one of them. A quality barrel is a quality barrel short or long and a POS barrel is a POS short or long.

Here is a little test on barrel length, Velocity and Accuracy in 223. As you can see even the shortest barrel was still very accurate. Note even cut to 10 Inches the rifle was still shooting .6 MOA.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html

Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5114 Times on 2661 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Barrel length affects a lot of things, things like velocity, muzzle lift, sight picture, etc., but accuracy is not usually one of them. A quality barrel is a quality barrel short or long and a POS barrel is a POS short or long.

Here is a little test on barrel length, Velocity and Accuracy in 223. As you can see even the shortest barrel was still very accurate. Note even cut to 10 Inches the rifle was still shooting .6 MOA.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
as velocity decreases so does spin on the bullet. this means that the accuracy envelope greatly decreases as the barrel length decreases. when a bullet drops below the speed of sound it transitions the sound barrier and has a very big destabilaztion effect meaning a huge loss in accuracy when that happens. the heavier the bullet the less effect this transition has.

so yes shorter barrels decrease accuracy but not within that barrel length's envelope

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
so yes shorter barrels decrease accuracy but not within that barrel length's envelope
What is a barrel length envelope?