Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RE/Buffer Tube staking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default RE/Buffer Tube staking?

Rifle Extension/Buffer Tube installation:
Should the castle nut be staked with a prick punch?
Some of the instructional video show staking of the tube's end plate to the castle nut.

Some other videos just show torquing to 30 ft lbs.
Brownells' video says 40 inch lbs.
Which is the correct torque?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

For some reason 34ft. lbs. poped into my head. Not sure if thats correct though.

Staking is a nice way to ensure the nut doesnt back off. I'm not sure what it's called but theres a square shaped punch (one side open, C w/ 90deg corners) that I know to do a nice job.

I used a normal punch to move material from the end plate into the castle nut.