Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Rate my first build (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rate-my-first-build-62522/)

CamoToe1 04-14-2012 03:42 PM

Rate my first build

6 Attachment(s)
Here is the "current" version of my first build. I am not LEO and have no military background. This was put together using forums like this and my own personal taste. I wanted something that could do most things well and here's what I chose.

Parts list:
Spikes stripped lower
RRA 2 stage nm lpk
Miad grip
RRA Car operator stock
BCM BFH lightweight 16" upper
Troy vtac 13" alpha rail
Ikh slap sling plate
Magpul RSA (not in photos)
MS3 sling (not in photos)
Spikes dynacomp (not in photos)
Mbus sights
Burris pepr mount
Simmons wtc 6.5-20x50 scope(great value, average scope)

Wish list:
-RDS, probably go primary arms. Just can't justify 500+ for my uses.

-Contemplating swapping the operator stock for a CTR. Thoughts?

My uses: coyote hunting, plinking, home defense, irritating neighbors and fondling. Not necessarily in that order :).

I included pictures of the building process. Only thing I had done was barrel torquing since I didn't have an upper receiver block. Let me know how I did.

homelessguy01 04-14-2012 03:48 PM

Nice build dude a1 for fondling!

How did u find shaving the gas block?

CamoToe1 04-14-2012 04:11 PM

Shaving the gas block in not near as intimidating as some make it. If you are somewhat coordinated and take your time it is pretty rewarding. I did mine with an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, a file and 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around a punch. A dremel would have made it cake. My advice is:
1. Don't use perma blue. I did and although you can't really see it under the rail, I know grand pappy's shotgun blue is there... Use oxpho blue or another well reviewed cold blue. High temp paint is probably better than perma blue. (and yes, I cleaned it well, boiled it, said the magic words and still, well, blue)
2. Consider bead blasting it to reduce shiny look.
3. Have a buddy hold the lower while you hammer the pins back on.

MikeJK 04-14-2012 04:24 PM

Great job shaving the FSP, it looks very nice.

The only thing I can think of is the RRA 2 stage. There's some talk of the trigger getting spongy or loosing stages when exposed to high round counts.

dog2000tj 04-14-2012 04:30 PM

Pffft, that thing is a piece of crap. Why didn't you just pony up a couple bucks and get yourself an Olympic out of the box? :confused:

I'll tell you what, since I am such a nice guy, I'll take that heap of crap off your hands for some boxes of crackerjacks ... and because I am such a nice guy I'll throw in a couple extra toys too
:rolleyes:

Hope you can read into the sarcasm in my reply

Nice build, she looks mighty fine ;)

BenLuby 04-14-2012 04:43 PM

Nice looking build. Good job on the shaving, as well.

AgentTikki 04-14-2012 04:46 PM

Love the build! A+

Love that you shaved your FSB.

Nice choice of handgaurds too!

How does she shoot?

CamoToe1 04-14-2012 04:48 PM

The crackerjack offer is tempting. I'll start the bidding at three boxes, and no the reserve has not been met! Lol.

I read the same issues on the 2 stage. I was concerned as well. At my current rate of fire I may run into issues in the year 2017. 250 through the pipe, mainly because closest neighbor who is retired state police stopped to say he didn't feel comfortable with my backstop, thus checking off my irritating the neighbor box.

CamoToe1 04-14-2012 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a 5 shot @ 50 yd indoor range with 55gr American eagle. This was pre-free float rail. Since this I added the rail and a dynacomp. I have shot with the new comp but was freehand and didn't check group. It killed a coyote with its 8th round. It took 7 to sight in and 1 to drop a dog at 150 USA. It has two confirmed coyote kills.

dog2000tj 04-14-2012 04:57 PM

I have the RRA 2 stage trigger in both my AR15 and AR458. It is a very good trigger, especially at the price. But for my AR15 which I built mainly as a SHTF/Zombie/Spacewolves azz kicker I would prefer the single stage trigger. I'll probably pick up a STAG single stage trigger and have some fine tuning done to it an hold onto the RRA 2 stage as a back up.

BTW, I'll go 2 boxes of CJ and 1 bag of Big League Chew ... final offer ;)