Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Raised Scope Rings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Raised Scope Rings

So I just finished a build and it has Magpul backup sights on it and I'd like to put a scope on it for woodchucks. I would like to be able to use both the sights and the optic at once. Are there scope rings out there that are raised enough to go above the magpul sights when they are flipped up? I may have to just get rings that I can easily take on and off. Thanks for the info in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Jesse,
There may be! But only a thought! You are going to have a major cheek weld problem by having a scope that high. Which equates to poor accuracy with the scope.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #3

Ya I see that but I'd like to be able to approach a woodchuck at around 15 yards, which is usually very possible but I want to be able to use this .223 to its full potential. I think ill have to go with quick release scope rings. Sucks...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseingall View Post
Ya I see that but I'd like to be able to approach a woodchuck at around 15 yards, which is usually very possible but I want to be able to use this .223 to its full potential. I think ill have to go with quick release scope rings. Sucks...
Holographic sight with a magnifier. Big bucks but what you are looking for.

Eotch 512 and a magnifier, or the 512 plus the flip up rear sight.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

Jesse,

Woody is correct if you would like a very versatile system. The 512 EOTech uses two AA Batteries and they also make a fantastic magnifier 3X that you can use. It is a first class system! But as he stated costs a little more. But it would be what you probably want. Someone here on the Forum used another brand of magnifier with the EOTech 512. And I believe it was a little less expensive but great set up. I can not remember who it was but maybe they will see your thread here and advise. Also by mounting the scope that high! Also remember the difference between the line of sight and the line of the rifle bore. Could be 3-4 inches higher. A thought only! You might also have good idea with the flip up front and rear sights plus the quick disconnect scope system. You would only have to tweak the zero slightly when reinstalling it.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Id go w/ a 1x4 before messing w/ a flip to the magnifier behind a RDS. To damn expensive.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 AM   #7

Ya EOTech would be way too expensive for my budget. wish i could but I dont have the money. Ill just buy a scope and quick attach scope rings sometime. Irons are just not accurate enough for what I'm shooting at and the distance. Thanks guys for all the advice, I appreciate everything

Old 03-31-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

I would never use these but it's an alternative to everything we've talked about:

SureFire Rapid Transition Sights | Iron Sights

Old 04-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #9

ok so I was thinking that those sights that are angled off the right side of the rifle may work. like this:

Advanced Armament Corp.'s Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

Anyone know of any bases that i could use to mount existing sights to? I know I've seen them before.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #10

found them:

Yankee Hill Machine 45 Degree Offset Picatinny Rail Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA