Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Raised Scope Rings (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/raised-scope-rings-40560/)

jesseingall 03-30-2011 11:46 PM

Raised Scope Rings

So I just finished a build and it has Magpul backup sights on it and I'd like to put a scope on it for woodchucks. I would like to be able to use both the sights and the optic at once. Are there scope rings out there that are raised enough to go above the magpul sights when they are flipped up? I may have to just get rings that I can easily take on and off. Thanks for the info in advance

Sniper03 03-30-2011 11:54 PM

Jesse,
There may be! But only a thought! You are going to have a major cheek weld problem by having a scope that high. Which equates to poor accuracy with the scope.

jesseingall 03-30-2011 11:57 PM

Ya I see that but I'd like to be able to approach a woodchuck at around 15 yards, which is usually very possible but I want to be able to use this .223 to its full potential. I think ill have to go with quick release scope rings. Sucks...

WoodysKJ 03-31-2011 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesseingall (Post 476097)
Ya I see that but I'd like to be able to approach a woodchuck at around 15 yards, which is usually very possible but I want to be able to use this .223 to its full potential. I think ill have to go with quick release scope rings. Sucks...

Holographic sight with a magnifier. Big bucks but what you are looking for.

Eotch 512 and a magnifier, or the 512 plus the flip up rear sight.

Sniper03 03-31-2011 12:55 AM

Jesse,

Woody is correct if you would like a very versatile system. The 512 EOTech uses two AA Batteries and they also make a fantastic magnifier 3X that you can use. It is a first class system! But as he stated costs a little more. But it would be what you probably want. Someone here on the Forum used another brand of magnifier with the EOTech 512. And I believe it was a little less expensive but great set up. I can not remember who it was but maybe they will see your thread here and advise. Also by mounting the scope that high! Also remember the difference between the line of sight and the line of the rifle bore. Could be 3-4 inches higher. A thought only! You might also have good idea with the flip up front and rear sights plus the quick disconnect scope system. You would only have to tweak the zero slightly when reinstalling it.

mjkeat 03-31-2011 01:44 AM

Id go w/ a 1x4 before messing w/ a flip to the magnifier behind a RDS. To damn expensive.

jesseingall 03-31-2011 02:17 AM

Ya EOTech would be way too expensive for my budget. wish i could but I dont have the money. Ill just buy a scope and quick attach scope rings sometime. Irons are just not accurate enough for what I'm shooting at and the distance. Thanks guys for all the advice, I appreciate everything

jesseingall 03-31-2011 01:24 PM

I would never use these but it's an alternative to everything we've talked about:

SureFire Rapid Transition Sights | Iron Sights

jesseingall 04-03-2011 09:05 PM

ok so I was thinking that those sights that are angled off the right side of the rifle may work. like this:

Advanced Armament Corp.'s Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

Anyone know of any bases that i could use to mount existing sights to? I know I've seen them before.

jesseingall 04-03-2011 09:10 PM

found them:

Yankee Hill Machine 45 Degree Offset Picatinny Rail Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA