Which Rail to go with? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Rail to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #21
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Okay good deal. I think I have decided to go ahead with the longer rail and just remove the fsp. Right now I am leaning towards the Troy Alpha or Troy Vtac Alpha. Just have to decide on which length. Either 13'' or 15.''

Okay moving on. So with going with one of these rails am I going to need to install a low profile gas block? If so what is a good one to go with, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks everyone for your input it has been really helpful.

A better option is to chop down your existing FSB. Most Lo-Pro Gas Blocks are clamped on or use set screws, while your FSB is pinned on. Take a dremel and chop off the "A frame" and then slide the handguard of your choice over it. As far as sight radius goes, there is no law saying you have to put the front sight at the very front of a 15" rail. You can install the front sight directly over your old location, where you chopped the front sight post off, if you want.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
A better option is to chop down your existing FSB. Most Lo-Pro Gas Blocks are clamped on or use set screws, while your FSB is pinned on. Take a dremel and chop off the "A frame" and then slide the handguard of your choice over it. As far as sight radius goes, there is no law saying you have to put the front sight at the very front of a 15" rail. You can install the front sight directly over your old location, where you chopped the front sight post off, if you want.
Another reason this may be a good option is because getting those BCM taper pins out the FSB can be be tough. Installing a new lo-pro gas block, that's easy though.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #23

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Okay I think I can manage that. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #24

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Mi ss gen has the smallest diameter.
Samson/Rainer arms is the next step up.
The troy guards are a little thicker.
The jp gaurds are really thick. Too thick for me and I usually wear extra large gloves. Personal experience, just from handling and shooting these.

Yhm makes a good low cost lo pro gas block ($35ish). But if you have a bench grinder or dremel you can just cut down your fsb.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 10-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #25

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I personally prefer the MI SS gen 2 and the Samson/Rainer Arms diameters, the relative thiness is nicer when using a thumb over support hand grip. The Troys are manageable but a little on the thicker side....

Also if you go with the Troy models get the Alpha series, so you can use a standard barrel nut. I personally like the looks of the Vtac's slots over the standard polka dots.....just me i guess

And be forewarmed, if you are gonna put a lot of rounds downrange quick, all of these handgaurds are going to heat up pretty quick. Wear gloves!!

Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #26

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I personally prefer the MI SS gen 2 and the Samson/Rainer Arms diameters, the relative thiness is nicer when using a thumb over support hand grip. The Troys are manageable but a little on the thicker side....

Also if you go with the Troy models get the Alpha series, so you can use a standard barrel nut. I personally like the looks of the Vtac's slots over the standard polka dots.....just me i guess

And be forewarmed, if you are gonna put a lot of rounds downrange quick, all of these handgaurds are going to heat up pretty quick. Wear gloves!!
Yeah I've been watching Travis Haleys Adaptive Carbine since BCM was nice enough to send a copy with my upper. I want to start using the thumb over the support hand grip like you mentioned. It's a little tough using the magpul handguards.
I agree I personally like the Vtac looks over the standard Alpha. I think I have it narrowed down to the Vtac and the MI SS. Does the MI SS Gen 2 come in FDE? I am helping my dad build an AR and plan on giving him my black furniture and going with FDE for myself.

Also, what kind of gloves do you recommend?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. But i got a question to ask. Just looked at the MI SS rail. Its identical to Troy Vtac Alpha. But the MI doesnt have the 13".. its either 12" or 15". Do you think the 15" looks good on 16" barrel? Is MI quality better than Troy? Thx

Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #28

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. But i got a question to ask. Just looked at the MI SS rail. Its identical to Troy Vtac Alpha. But the MI doesnt have the 13".. its either 12" or 15". Do you think the 15" looks good on 16" barrel? Is MI quality better than Troy? Thx
Look similar, but a few big differences. The MI has no horizontal line design. Looks cleaner IMO. The biggest plus is the large number of rail attachment screw holes that the MI gives you. A huge variation of options for mounting points and angles when/if you want to add any gear.

I love my Gen2 SS. Better quality? I can't be the judge there, but IMO the functionality of the MI us much better.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

My barrel is 16". 12" or 15" MI SS rail will looks better on it?

Edited* i think i made up my mind. MI SS Gen2 12". Ordering now..

Last edited by okdonk; 10-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #30

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
My barrel is 16". 12" or 15" MI SS rail will looks better on it?

Edited* i think i made up my mind. MI SS Gen2 12". Ordering now..
LoL! Beat me to it. The 12 is the one I have on a 16" middie barrel.

image-3306012522.jpg

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com