Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Rail to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1979

I like small diameter handguards also . I dont like a bunch of crap on my rifles so I dont use the provided screw on rails either but if I need them I have them . quad rails are just to big around for me , feels like the factory handguards all over again . heres my newest favorite on a 14.7" mid gas with a 9" rainier arms handguard factory FSB. Now keep in mind if your going to run it hard and I mean 300-500 rounds over a couple hrs time at a carbine class its going to get damn hot and require gloves all of them will ,

16" carbine with cut down FSB 15" troy rail

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-19-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #12

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I like small diameter handguards also . I dont like a bunch of crap on my rifles so I dont use the provided screw on rails either but if I need them I have them . quad rails are just to big around for me , feels like the factory handguards all over again . heres my newest favorite on a 14.7" mid gas with a 9" rainier arms handguard factory FSB. Now keep in mind if your going to run it hard and I mean 300-500 rounds over a couple hrs time at a carbine class its going to get damn hot and require gloves all of them will ,

16" carbine with cut down FSB 15" troy rail
Nice rifles! I like the look of both of those. I have piddled with the idea of just removing the front sight post and getting a 15" rail like the Troy. Idk what to do lol. I like my front sight post but think that 15" rail looks pretty sharp too. Do you prefer one setup over the other? Are the flip up front sights pretty decent?

Old 10-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Nice rifles! I like the look of both of those. I have piddled with the idea of just removing the front sight post and getting a 15" rail like the Troy. Idk what to do lol. I like my front sight post but think that 15" rail looks pretty sharp too. Do you prefer one setup over the other? Are the flip up front sights pretty decent?

its really a personal preference on feel , where do you hold the rifle at ? are you comfortable holding it at the magwell or do you hold it at the end of the handguard , do you wish your front hand would hold out further than that ?
I like the looks and the feel of the Rainier Arms handguard best but I wish it was a tad longer , I like to hold my rifle out in front a bit further but im ok with it as a mid gas its a tad longer . the magpul sights are great for the money and fairly durable but I like my troy rear sight on one of the other rifle better , it has a better sight picture than the Magpul but at 2X the $$$ . the magpuls are thick in the window area because they are plastic and they need to be to be durable . lots of great rear sights out there but if your just using them as backup sights magpul are hard to beat , if I was just using irons and no optics I would buy something else like troy ,diamond head , daniel defense, samson, or MI

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

its really a personal preference on feel , where do you hold the rifle at ? are you comfortable holding it at the magwell or do you hold it at the end of the handguard , do you wish your front hand would hold out further than that ?
I like the looks and the feel of the Rainier Arms handguard best but I wish it was a tad longer , I like to hold my rifle out in front a bit further but im ok with it as a mid gas its a tad longer . the magpul sights are great for the money and fairly durable but I like my troy rear sight on one of the other rifle better , it has a better sight picture than the Magpul but at 2X the $$$ . the magpuls are thick in the window area because they are plastic and they need to be to be durable . lots of great rear sights out there but if your just using them as backup sights magpul are hard to beat , if I was just using irons and no optics I would buy something else like troy , daniel defense, samson, or MI
Well I like holding it farther up the handguard but I don't really have a problem with the front post being there. I bought my magpul backup sight bc I eventually plan on putting some sort of optic on eventually. But I must agree I don't really care for the thick window area. I have looked into other sights but don't really want to spend the money on it, but maybe I should considering I don't plan on putting on an optic for quite some time.

Does the 15" rail add a considerable amount of weight compared to a 9". I am trying to keep the rifle light weight but a few ounces here and there won't bother me either.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Your talking about a couple of ounces difference in weight. And if u remove the fsp or cut it down you won't have any weight difference. That fsp is cast and its heavy

Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #16

Okay good deal. I think I have decided to go ahead with the longer rail and just remove the fsp. Right now I am leaning towards the Troy Alpha or Troy Vtac Alpha. Just have to decide on which length. Either 13'' or 15.''

Okay moving on. So with going with one of these rails am I going to need to install a low profile gas block? If so what is a good one to go with, and are they fairly easy to install?

Thanks everyone for your input it has been really helpful.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 AM   #17

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Getting a rail just to hold a flash light sounds expensive. You could keep your rife as is, and get a light setup like this:

http://www.elzetta.com/zfh1500FAQ.htm

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 10-21-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #18

Yea that would be a good option too. Part of the reason I want to get a rail like the ones im looking at is because I want something smaller in diameter. Also I know it probably doesn't make a huge difference but I like the fact of having the barrel free floated.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #19

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Yea that would be a good option too. Part of the reason I want to get a rail like the ones im looking at is because I want something smaller in diameter. Also I know it probably doesn't make a huge difference but I like the fact of having the barrel free floated.
Now you tell me!

DOH!

There is also something like this out there:

http://vtsupply.com/apex-handguard-system-2200-ar-15-gator-grip-mid-length-ar15.html

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 10-21-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #20

That's a nice looking rail as well and I like the gator grip deal. The only problem I see with that one is it doesn't have a picatinny rail on top. I am definitely going to need one of those for a backup front sight since I don't have any optics at the moment