Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Rail to go with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Which Rail to go with?

Hello everyone I am an avid reader but rarely post on here. I recently finished an AR build and am curious as to which rail to start saving up for. I used this forum to help plan my build. I have a BCM CHF LWMidlength 16'' upper on a Spikes tactical stripped lower with a PSA LPK. I have a Magpul CTR stock, Magpul backup sight and a Magpul Handguard on it at the moment.

I don't really want to go with a quad rail because I don't see myself ever needing to add a bunch of unneccesary gear and I think it would be uncomfortable to handle. The only think I can see me eventually wanting is maybe a light. I don't have any optic at the moment and probably won't for quite awhile until I master my trusty Iron sights. I want to let you know my setup and my possible future set up so you can best guide me to the correct rail im looking for.

Right now I am looking at the Troy Alpha Rail or Troy Vtac Alpha. I like the fact that it is basically round with a rail on top. I am not sure which length would best fit my needs though. 11'', 13.8'', or 15''. 15'' seems like it would be to long and would have to sth with my front sight post, and i would rather keep that. So I guess my questions are: Are these good rails? Which length would be best? Are they pretty lightweight? I am more that open to suggestions on a different rail that would seem to fit my needs the most. Thanks in advance everybody.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Here is a picture

bcm-build.jpg  

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Nice build.

I would recommend the MI SS Gen2 free float rail. Matches just about everything you described as wanting.

image-1897719638.jpg

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #4

Thank you. Would you recommend this one over the Troy Vtac Alpha Rail?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Troy-VTAC-BattleRail-Alpha-11-Inch-Model-p/vtac%20troy%20strx-eli-e0bv.htm

Also, I want to go as long as possible without having to remove my Front sight post. I am at a buddys house watching the Playoffs right now or else I would measure it. Do you know how long I can go? I'm assuming no more than 12'' for sure.

How hard are these type of rails to install?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

7" on a carbine, 9" on a mid-length

If you want a rail that extends beyond the FSB, then you can look into Samson Mfg.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #6

Thank you that looks like it might be a better option for me. I went ahead and signed up for an alert for when it comes in stock in case I decide to go with that.

Would it look dumb if I went with sth like the MI SS Gen 2 or Troy Vtac Alpha in 9'' and had it butted up to the front sight post? Do people normally like to keep their FSP or am I weird in that regard. I am not dead set on anything. I would be open to removing it if need be.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Th MI and Troy you are looking at are 1 piece rails so you'll need to remove (or chop) the FSB to install them. If you want to keep the FSB you'll need to get a 2 piece rail like the Centurion C4. They also make a 2 piece C4 that extends under the FSB and looks great. They are really sweet rails, I have the 10" C4 on my BCM middy with lo-pro gas block.

I also just got the 9" Troy Vtac Alpha for another middy and although I haven't installed it yet, I can tell I'm really gonna like it. Very light and compact, and looks killer with great t-marks along the top.

Some of the BCM taper pins in the FSB are very difficult to remove. I had to send mine to Adco, great service from those guys BTW, highly recommend them.

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

And yeah...nice build!

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 10-19-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clue View Post
Thank you that looks like it might be a better option for me. I went ahead and signed up for an alert for when it comes in stock in case I decide to go with that.

Would it look dumb if I went with sth like the MI SS Gen 2 or Troy Vtac Alpha in 9'' and had it butted up to the front sight post? Do people normally like to keep their FSP or am I weird in that regard. I am not dead set on anything. I would be open to removing it if need be.

A 9" rail does not look bad to me, but you can be the judge for yourself...this is a Noveske 9" NSR Rail on a midlength with FSB.

Also, Zues is right...you will need to remove the FSB to install any of these "tube" rails. Here is the Centurion Arms rail he is talking about...and it is indeed a sweet rail!

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

That's one good looking AR u got there. My next build will be with Magpul MOE handguard, kinda broke real bad right now . Check out Daniel Defense rails.. they are light and very good! And very easy to install too.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk
That's one good looking AR u got there. My next build will be with Magpul MOE handguard, kinda broke real bad right now . Check out Daniel Defense rails.. they are light and very good! And very easy to install too.
I hear ya. I'm pretty broke myself right now. I need stop browsing PSAs website and others. I already have another lower on backorder (just in case). I also ordered another lpk from PSA and replacement pin set. I didn't want to spend $7 on shipping for the pin set which was like $10 so I went ahead and ordered the lpk as well.