R-15 Riser

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > R-15 Riser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default R-15 Riser

Can someone, please, explain the use of a 20 MOA riser on a rifle?
I have a new rem. R-15 VTR with 22" bbl. Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR scope
with a Vrmint Hunter reticle.
I mounted this on An EGW Percision 20 MOA riser with a set of EGW tactical rings (Med rings).
Perfect height for a good cheek weld.
Shoots like HECK, but when I used my Leupold boresighter it said I was, about, 12-14 MOA low.
HAVEN'T TRIED THIS AT THE RANGE, YET.
Should I adjust the scope up or try shooting it first?
Any comments greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #2

Not quite sure what your saying. Are you saying that it is bore sighted but not fired yet? If you put a 20 MOA rail then it makes sense that it is low.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm with Bigcat, I am a little unclear on the question.

A 20 Minute of Angle Rail is, essentially, a slightly angled rail to allow you MORE travel with your scope, allowing you to shoot much further without taxing the limits of your adjustments.

If you mount a scope on a 20MOA rail, and then you use a bore-sighter and don't compensate for the rail, you are going to be WAY off because your scope is no longer level with the bore of your rifle, it's a slant on purpose...

JD

Old 02-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #4

When I went to the range I used my son-in-laws new LASER-LYTE bore sighter, at 25 yards. with-in 4 shots we were in the bulls eye. Did NOT shoot at 100 Yds.
When I got home I used my Leupold Boresighter and the Vertical was perfect, but the horizontal was, about 14 MOA low.
Qusetion is, at 100 Yds. should I raise the reticle up to meet the center of the boersighter or should I shoot it first to see where I am hitting ?

Old 02-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #5

If its on at 25 yards move up to 50 yards. Adjust and get on bulls eye at 50 then move to 100. Thats what I would do. I wouldn't screw with the bore sighter.