Quick Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Quick Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default Quick Question

I recently bought a complete MOE belished lower from PSA and am in the market for a complete upper. I want something with a either 16 or 18 inch barrel. What I want to know does the price difference between the PSA Premium uppers and something like a YHM or BCM upper justified by a great increase in performance? I am also considering something from DSC as I have one of their uppers on M4clone that is a sweet shooting barrel. At this point I am spitballing as I have a complete lower with no set plans (price was too good to pass up) so any ideas are welcome. I am not interested in anything DPMS or lower tier like the PSA PTAC line.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Liked 465 Times on 258 Posts

The BCM uppers are nice!! Haven't had any issues with mine.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #3

Liked 700 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

I recommend the following which I used on my last build;
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/951250/del-ton-ar-15-dissipator-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-9-twist-16-rifle-length-heavy-contour-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-a2-handguard-flash-hider?cm_vc=ProductFinding

...and it's made in North Carolina

Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the PSA blemished lower and PSA heavy 16" complete upper. Couldn't be happier.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 04-25-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

BCM is great! Great quality, fair price, super quick delivery (2-5 days), solid resale potential.

PSA is the better value, in the sense that the critical parts will be equal to BCM in terms of actual quality, but set you back $100-200 less for an upper. They may take 3 weeks or so to arrive and won't have quite the trendiness or resale value of BCM. Their FN-barreled uppers are outstanding, and pretty much the best deals in the AR market in my opinion.

I've bought several times from each. And that'll continue, based on constantly positive experiences. If waiting a couple extra weeks is worth saving $150, I'd lean toward PSA.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 AM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

Default Quick Question

I grabbed the same blem complete lower from PSA. My plan is to wait for a decent deal on a midlength government or lightweight profile FN barreled upper. Stay away from PTAC. They have one in stock now complete with BCG and charging handle for $399.99 and free shipping. My only issue with it is a "cool down period.".... The wife saw the previous purchase and needs to cool down for a little while!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-length-cl-mp-premium-upper.html

Last edited by CamoToe1; 04-25-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Bcm. No question.

If there ever is an issue bcm will fix it stupid fast. Normally its less than a week between you shipping it to bcm and the repaired item on the way back...

That piece of mind and no bs service along with top notch quality is worth the difference.

Just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 218 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 64

+10000 on the BCM.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I think I am gonna go BCM. A buddy ordered a complete PSA Premium upper that did not impress me.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I think I am gonna go BCM.
BCM is always a solid choice. Great quality, fair price. Continue your research and find the upper that works best for your expectations and budget.

I often buy from PSA because their package deals are impossible to beat. It's nice to get a handguard you like on a barreled upper at a great price. I really like the MI and PSA SQR/SQH handguards that they offer. I like their Magpul LBKs & PSA LPKs (for some reason their milspec triggers always perform great for me), as well as deals that include some combination of BCG/CH/flip rear sight. Most of my builds come from PSA. With that said, at least half my personal ARs wear BCM uppers with BCGs and CHs to match.

If BCM has what you like in stock, buy it. Don't wait for a sale...it's not happening. Their gear is constantly in high demand (and rightfully so), so they don't waste time marking stuff way down. I'm a big fan of their 16" midlength pencil uppers. Have built several, have one on a rifle, and one landed on the rifle I built for a Father's Day gift for dad. I also like their EAG Tactical/MOE 14.5" middy ($725 complete with BCG, GF CH, MOE flip rear)...ideal for a versatile and lightweight build at a mortal price.

BCM's products are outstanding, and they've never failed to deliver inside of a week (they're in Wisc, I'm in Oregon). You'll also likely receive $50+ worth of 'swag' (DVD/poster/stickers) with your purchase. Count me a huge fan of their barreled uppers, BCGs, Gunfighter CHs, and service.