Questions on AR-15
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Questions on AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Questions on AR-15

/facepalm

im going to feel like such a doofus asking these questions, but Google searches are only trying to sell me guns or tell me the difference between 5.56 and .223...they're not answering my actual question =)

I'm going to be getting my very first AR-15 soon and, while I appreciate the suggestions, I won't be building my own...I just don't know enough about it at this time.

So i've been looking at some brands that i've heard of before (Bushmaster, Colt, etc) and i've come across a few questions.

First off, I see a gigantic range in prices going from ~$700 to ~$2,000 and, based on picture and general understanding of description, im not seeing much difference.

Example:

Bushmaster CAR15

vs

Bushmaster 16FMC

One is twice as much as the other and, from what I can see, it's really a difference cosmetically (thats just my take...again, this is my first one, feel like a total dumb ass for asking)

Now, I know this is going to vary a lot depending on personal taste and preference, but can anyone provide any insight on a good solid AR-15 that I won't be disappointed with later on down the road?

It'll be mainly used at the gun range me & my buddy built...but it also needs to be better than the one my friend has, and it's a Rock River LE1040 =)

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

The first one is just a bare bones stock parts ie hand guards no sights. The second one has a free floated quad rail with rubber covers + - $350, flip up back up sights +- $200, ergonomic grip +- $50 all of that you are adding at least $500 - 600 to that base gun. Its all about accessories.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

If you want to buy a finished rifle and a basic but good quality is it then buy a palmeto state arm or s&w m&p15 sport. Both can be bought under 600 dollars andboth have great factory support. IF highly accurate is what you want then get the RRA varment with a 20 or 24" barrel. They will shoot under 1/2" with federal match ammo. And a good scope ofcourse, Was RRA canalever scope mount too. Good mount and good price.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

porkchop, you will see many suggestions on what to buy and why. i own the Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine, M4A2 and am very pleased with it so far. are there better AR's than the Bushmaster? probably. depends on what your primary use will be. casual target shooter on a limited budget, no need to spend $2000 plus on one. if used everyday, your life or others depend on it to function each and everytime, buy the best one available. there are some decent AR's that would probably suit your needs, such as Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Del-Ton, Stag, Daniel Defence, Colt, ect. ect. everyone who owns, shoots or has built an AR, will have their preference. the biggest difference in the two rifles you posted about, options make a big difference in price. people who build an AR, could probably build the $1366 for about 2/3 of that price and still have a very nice rifle to boot. my suggestion, buy a basic AR to start with, and you can get some great deals on even a new one, learn how it operates, learn how to strip it down to clean and maintain it, and learn what you would want different. because a lot of times it is cheaper to build what you want, than to modify one into what you want. these are just my opinions and suggestions.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When comparing ARs look at what they are made w/ like bolt or barrel steel. Look for things like the barrel twist. Don't be fooled by stocks, handguards, or in most cases what your local gun store is trying to push on you.

I'm going to be blunt and to the point.

You mentioned not wanting to be disappointed down the road, well Bushmaster will leave you disappointed down the road. Don't fall for the "as good as" argument you'll see.

There's no need to spend $2k on an AR either. Thats a figure guys like to use when people start pointing out the short comings of certain AR manufacturers. You can get a Colt for under $1k and have everything you'll ever need minus red dot sight.

Spikes would be a lower priced alternative. It's a mil-spec rifle made of all the proper materials and assembled correctly.

Palmetto State Armory has been receiving a lot of good press and they can be had for around $600 - $700. These are also mil-spec.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #6

mj posted a lot of good info. As mj said, I would stay away from Bushmasters. Of all the people I know who have AR-15s, only two of them have repeated problems with their rifles jamming, and both of those rifles are Bushmasters.

This question was brought up just a couple days ago. Here was my response in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
The same thing that makes one car cost $15,000 when others cost $30,000. One will obviously be nicer or better or whatever adjective you wanna use, you just have to decide what you want, and how much you're willing to spend.

The cheapest rifle that I personally would buy is a Spikes Tactical, they can be picked up for between $800 and $900. From there it would be a BCM at $1000 to $1100. The next would be a Daniel Defense at about $1200-$1300, and about the most I would personally spend on a DI AR-15 is a Lewis Machine & Tool, coming in at about $1500-$1900, depending on model.

There are rifles that are cheaper than these, and those that are more expensive. I personally wouldn't want the cheaper ones, and at this point in my life, I couldn't justify spending any more than what one of the cheaper LMTs run.

This is of course my opinion. Other people may like other brand's rifles and not the ones I've listed. That's ok though, different strokes for different folks. You're best bet is to talk to some people you know that have ARs and see if they will let you shoot them, or see if any local ranges rent them. That will give you an idea of the different barrel lengths, what accessories you like, etc. Then you must decide how much you wanna spend. And there is always the option of building you're own, which is much easier than it sounds, and has the potential of saving you a few pennies.

-Fred
Here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-pricing-52739/

I actually bought a Spike's ST-15 Carbine about a month ago. I paid about $890 out the door, which is less than my buddies paid for their Bushmasters, and there is no doubt about it that when we compare our rifles, mine is the much nicer one.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

MJKEAT, just want to say i respect your opinion and you seem to be very knowledgeable on the AR platform. i own a Bushmaster M4A2 carbine, my question is what would give you the impression that i will be disappointed in the long run with it? i have shot over 1200 rounds through it with not a single ftf or fte so far. i would like to hear your reasonsfo the way you feel about the Bushmaster's. i am realistic enough to know there are better ones than the one i have, but i am not a competition shooter or in LE in any way, so mine is for more casual target shooting and fun.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #8

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I'm sure it's not as tough of a choice as im making it out to be...i just know myself and i don't want to regret my purchase 12 months down the road...

Right now im really liking one of the S&W M&P15 like this one
SWL M&P15T 811041 5.56 16 AS BLK 30 $910.00 SHIPS FREE

which i think looks awesome!

But here's where my noob'ness comes into play

This is a "M&P15" ... is that the same thing as an "AR15"? Or is it different?

Also, would this one be fully customizable? So if further down the road I found a different barrel that I liked, or if i bought some optics/light/other random accessories

Old 12-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
I really appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I'm sure it's not as tough of a choice as im making it out to be...i just know myself and i don't want to regret my purchase 12 months down the road...

Right now im really liking one of the S&W M&P15 like this one
SWL M&P15T 811041 5.56 16 AS BLK 30 $910.00 SHIPS FREE

which i think looks awesome!

But here's where my noob'ness comes into play

This is a "M&P15" ... is that the same thing as an "AR15"? Or is it different?

Also, would this one be fully customizable? So if further down the road I found a different barrel that I liked, or if i bought some optics/light/other random accessories
in this case yes, its just a different company making a different model name. like dodge durango and ford explorer both are suv's but different company.

also no one has mentioned STAG, or DPMS which offer reasonably priced ar's. i bought my stag for 900 out the door and am very pleased with it. it has a lifetime warrenty and i never have any jamming problems that were the rifles fault. it jamsmed ONCE because of a faulty magazine. personnally i think stag,rock river arms, dpms, spikes, and palmetto state would be your best choices
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see nothing wrong with the M&P you posted the link to. It is fully compatible with any AR15 upgrades you might want to make later on. And it should be fairly even on quality with your buddy's RRA.

I agree with everything mj said and also wouldn't recommend Bushmaster, and I own one. By far the most problematic of my AR's. Numerous FTF and FTE issues. Of the two bushies you posted, I'm pretty sure the cheap one is a Carbon 15, which I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I like Spike's Tactical and Palmetto State does seem to have a good reputation so far.