questions about Scopes and red dots for AR's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > questions about Scopes and red dots for AR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default questions about Scopes and red dots for AR's

I have a nice 3-9X40 and I intend on using magpul backup rear when my PSA gets here ,but after handling a few red dots today but my question is which ones are durable and Im not talking about super high end R dots I cant swing one of those right now after purchasing the AR and My kids Christmas and the Wifes Bday just 18 days after X mas . I have been looking at Primary Arms Red Dots , just wondering how durable and reliable their stuff really is ?.
Or what you guys have had good luck with

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

im liking the vortex dots. the sparc is a micto red dot. the strikefire is closer to a aimpoint in size. their warranty is superb. they dont care if your the original buyer or the 15th owner.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 AM   #3

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

I'm ashamed to recommend what I'm using! Bushnel's TRS-25, an Aimpoint Micro clone. I keep waiting for both of mine to crap out but so far so good.

And no this isn't a recommendation, they were on sale when everything else was 3-4x more expensive. Now there are better low-end choices and of course extremely better choices on the high end.

MJ and everyone, feel free to lambast me!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

1) Primary Arms guys are good people. Great CS they really stand behind their products, I have 2 Micros and an M4 clone. I did unfortunately have a PA Micro fail on me during a carbine course, almost wasted a day. But I salvaged it by just pulling it off and going with irons. PA stepped up and replaced my unit hassle free.

My suggestion is to just shoot with your iron sights. Learn them and get good and comfortable with them. Your Ar is gonna be plenty fun. Get a couple k downrange. Don't go with a red dot just yet because red dots are cheater.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 12-18-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Sooooooo cheater.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Get a rope!!!

I trust Quentin's judgment, and we have very similar taste.

Seriously though, the Primary Arms (PA) micro dot is a nice substitution if you're not wanting to spend the money on an Aimpoint micro. There's a nice youtube video of a guy throwing it around the concrete.

I have 2 PAs, one on an AK and the other on a .22 AR.

If you decide to go w/ the PA the American Defense mount is recommended. That way when you get an Aimpoint micro you'll already have a good mount for it. It'll save you money in the long run. But, purchasing the Aimpoint micro at first would save even more

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #7

At this point, I just can't afford an Aimpoint, so I'm gonna pick up a PA Micro to substitute in the meantime. From my research, it seems to be the best budget red dot, and I like the fact that the controls are set up very similar to the micro Aimpoints.

However, I WILL get an Aimpoint H-1 when the funds are there, and transfer the PA over to my future dedicated .22 upper.

Oh how I wish I was rich.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post

Oh how I wish I was rich.

-Fred
Oh I hear ya !!!!, I played around with the vortex strikefire today along with a few others and I will be damn there were 2 that I had a hard time seeing thru keeping both eyes open and still seeing the dot but I cant remember which ones they were ,

I know it wasnt the vortex
WHich PA microdot are you guys talking about ? seems as though they have a couple different models and they all call them micro dots

Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They only sell the latest version on their site as per Marshall.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Removable_Base_AD_p/md06adt1-10bundle.htm

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Realy for the money thats a damn nice setup and for another $110 you can go with the 3X multiplier with the flip mount , I thought that was pretty cheap for what you get in that whole package