Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Questions about LR-308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions about LR-308

Okay, so I've got this thing pretty much broken in and am gonna go to the range on Friday and I'll make sure to take my camera and post a range report when I get home. My question is, I'm thinking of putting a new trigger in and have heard that for the cost, the RRA 2-Stage trigger are one of the better drop-in triggers you can get. Is this true, and if so, for an amateur shooter, is it worth the cost or should I take the money and just buy some more ammo to practice with? Also, any other mods I should be thinking about for 100 Yard target shooting and maybe a little hunting from time to time?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Geeze F...What optics did you put on her? And is the trigger pull that bad that you need to replace it? Don't know squat about the RRA 2stage trigger, is it made for the 308 DPMS lower?

I know you have this up in another thread but maybe you could copy and paste the pics here too!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Geeze F...What optics did you put on her? And is the trigger pull that bad that you need to replace it? Don't know squat about the RRA 2stage trigger, is it made for the 308 DPMS lower?

I know you have this up in another thread but maybe you could copy and paste the pics here too!!
For the meantime I've got a crappy Bushnell Banner, just waiting for some more funds and I'll be moving that Banner to my 10/22 and getting something better. And the trigger isn't bad, about like all the other AR's that I have shot, I've just heard the RRA 2-Stage is pretty sweet. And I'm pretty sure it uses the same trigger, but I'll take out the Trigger groups for both it and my standard AR and compare them and Friday to make sure they're the same.

I'll post some more pics with the scope mounted tomorrow. Would do it tonight but it's getting late and I don't feel like fooling with it tonight.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Fred, if it were me I'd save the money for optics, but it's your call and...your money too.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The LR308 trigger sucks when it's new. I wanted to replace mine also, but after several hundred rounds it became much more tolerable. I never took mine out and compared it to my RRA, but I'm certain the pin diameters are larger on the LR308. The RRA 2-stage Match trigger is a great trigger. RRA might be able to supply you with a trigger from their LAR8 which would fit, but I would wait and see how much the DPMS trigger smoothes out over time.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 AM   #6

I'm hopefully gonna shoot at least another 100 rounds tomorrow, I'll give the trigger some time to see if it smoothes out some. I don't need to have a super trigger because I'm not that good of a shot. However, I wouldn't mind the trigger being better than it is now, be it that it smoothes out or I replace it.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by FCross7; 08-14-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
I'm hopefully gonna shoot at least another 100 rounds tomorrow, I'll give the trigger some time to see if it gets any better though. And also, when I get home to clean, I'll take both triggers apart, compare them, and let you know what I find out. And I was just looking at RRA's website, and their .308 AR's come with a 2-Stage Match trigger, so they are either the same or they're making 2-stages for them, so either way, if I decide to upgrade I should be able to get one.

-Fred
The pin sizes are different from the .223 to the .308. If you have two AR's just look at the hole diameters for the pins - the pins on my RRA .223 are smaller than those on my DPMS. At one time I was gonna do what you want to do - take them out, but the DPMS trigger got much better over time so I didn't bother. If you take them out, mic them so you know which size pins you need - I believe replacement triggers have two or three different size pins. 0.154" rings a bell, but I think there is a larger one also.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-14-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #8

Man, your quick. You got that quoted and posted before I could edit my post. I somehow skipped right over what you said about the RRA LAR8 trigger when I read it the first time, that's why I took it out.

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Man, your quick. You got that quoted and posted before I could edit my post. I somehow skipped right over what you said about the RRA LAR8 trigger when I read it the first time, that's why I took it out.
LOL - they call me "Rapid Ray" (no, not the women) - you may have a hard time ordering a .308 sized trigger from RRA since they haven't even started manufacturing their LAR8 rifles yet! They are backlogged more than 12 months - that's why I ordered the DPMS - and I'm glad I did since the accuracy is better than what RRA advertises for their LAR8, which is 1.5" moa.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #10

Hey RL, did you have any FTE's when you first got your rifles? Ive gotten some all three trips out so far. It usually seems to be at the beginning of a magazine, the round comes loose from the bolt but doesn't eject, so both the spent cartridge and the new cartridge are jammed into the locking lugs. The gun is cleaned and oiled after every trip out. It hasn't happened a lot, maybe 8 or 9 out of 260 rounds. Is this just because it's new or is there something I don't know?

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!