You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Questionable Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Diggs, my Stag M4 gets the most use (of my AR's) and has been 100% reliable with every ammo I've tried, including several thousand Wolf 55gr. But thanks to you I need to get some Wolf 62gr and see if it has an issue with that.

I gotta know...

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Diggs, my Stag M4 gets the most use (of my AR's) and has been 100% reliable with every ammo I've tried, including several thousand Wolf 55gr. But thanks to you I need to get some Wolf 62gr and see if it has an issue with that.

I gotta know...
Nice. . . I'm curious to hear if it doesn't, but my bet is that it'll function just fine. It seems like every gun that ever gets on that type of roll, never fails unless you do something WAY out of the ordinary.

For now I'll blame it on myself. Maybe improper something. . . I'm still pretty new to ARs. Reading a few books, building a couple and sending less than 1,500 rounds downrange TOTAL, doesn't give me ANY experience, just a little foundation.

I'm confident I'll get it shooting the way I want soon, but for now I can't say it's my go to gun.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Nice. . . I'm curious to hear if it doesn't, but my bet is that it'll function just fine. It seems like every gun that ever gets on that type of roll, never fails unless you do something WAY out of the ordinary.

For now I'll blame it on myself. Maybe improper something. . . I'm still pretty new to ARs. Reading a few books, building a couple and sending less than 1,500 rounds downrange TOTAL, doesn't give me ANY experience, just a little foundation.

I'm confident I'll get it shooting the way I want soon, but for now I can't say it's my go to gun.
I'll hunt some down here locally and give her a try. But my Stag has gobbled everything so far.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I'll hunt some down here locally and give her a try. But my Stag has gobbled everything so far.
Well, if you have trouble finding any, I know a guy that'll sell you the rest of his.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #25

Liked 837 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 936

I have a bunch of ammo for 5.56. It was made at the Russian State Factory at Frunze, Kirgisia, Russia. It shoots fine, but the polymer coating actually will raise hell w/ the bore, not only the chamber. Wolf and Barnuel are really under powered.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I have a bunch of ammo for 5.56. It was made at the Russian State Factory at Frunze, Kirgisia, Russia. It shoots fine, but the polymer coating actually will raise hell w/ the bore, not only the chamber. Wolf and Barnuel are really under powered.
I know. . . it's either always been that polymer or lacquer coatings with that steel cased Russian made ammo.

I'm thinking (and hoping) that the "under powered" part is why it's causing the type of failures I've experienced. It makes perfect sense, but I'm fixing to go give my ARs a thorough, proper, detailed cleaning before my range trip either tomorrow (hopefully to miss the weekend crowd ) or Saturday. Since the gun is finally shooting straight, this time I'll focus on making sure I have a few different ammo selections that will be 99% (not being greedy) reliable.

As far as Russian. . . I have had great luck with "Silver Bear" in the past, so I'm hoping It'll function or I'll have a whole bunch for sale.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #27

I'm going to throw this out there but could the extra weight from the bullet cause the mag. not function right?
I own a armalite and for the most part use only federal ammo. and have not have had any trouble with it.
I did have a high point 9mm and had promblems running wolf through it so I stop buying wolf and went with something else. Have you tryed the wally world special 100 rnds. for $39 it is 55 gr. don't know if you have your heart set on 69 gr.

Like I said just throwing it out there. Only know what I know no tech. training with this.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Well, if you have trouble finding any, I know a guy that'll sell you the rest of his.
Oh, cool! Who?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Oh, cool! Who?
If it doesn't perform this next time I'll sell you what I got left. ?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #30

Default My .02 cents....

I have a Bushmaster Dissy. I've tried lots of different manufacturers of ammo.
Mostly, because of cost, I usually use Wolfe 55 grain.

So, far, I've put approximately 4000 rounds down range. Not one hiccup! Honest!

I've never tried a different grain. Now, of course, Wolfe gets your gun pretty
dirty. I don't mind cleaning a bit more to use my rifle at lesser ammo expense.

I shoot at 100 yards most of the time. Wolfe isn't match grade, but I can manage to put the lead in the kill zone I choose on the target, iron sights, our department does'nt get into expensive optics.

As for the coatings on the ammo. You hear all kinds of things about gucking up the chamber, causing FTE, stuck casings, etc. Hint, if you've heat up your rifle,
when you do take a break, do not leave a casing in the chamber. It still gums up a bit but is easy to clean out.

I don't work for Wolfe, I just get so pissed off at ammo prices! I've got another short related story. My department used around 7000 rounds in one day with 9 standard Patrolmen Bushys. We used silver bear in the sardine cans. All the guys moaned about how it was junk and a pain in the butt.

Well, eight hours of none stop shooting, no cleaning breaks, constantly hot rifles, 7000 rounds gone and not one failure of any kind. The nay sayers were in shock. I just smiled at them and said I told you so.

Would I like to buy American, brass cased good stuff? Of course, but I just can't afford it. We all have "duty" ammo that's top shelf. Our bug out bags in each car for active shooter situations carry five mags of the best 556 ammo we can find and another five mags of the best .40 we can find, along with all the other normal stuff. But for training or plinking, most of us use Wolfe.

Sorry for the length of post.

MRA

Last edited by mrasgt; 01-13-2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling