Questionable Ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Questionable Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Was the longer round pictured chambered in the rifle? Anyway I'm looking at the dark ring toward the tip of the bullet - is that on fresh unchambered rounds too?
No, fresh out of the box.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
New build....who chambered it, to what dimension and what gauges were used ?

May reveal the first hint on the chamber.

Which stock and buffer tube ?

Which spring and buffer ?

14.5 inch barrel...is it an SBR ?

What is the gas hole size ?

Get a set of digital calipers and measure the OAL of the load VS SAAMI Specs.

Problems and Wolf go hand in hand...you get what you pay for !
It's a complete upper from BCM. No SBR, flash hider welded.

I know the old "you get what you pay for" cliche. I just find it curious that Wolf failed when other, cheaper Russian made crap ran through just fine.

I've used Wolf in nearly everything and not had one problem until now. Are ARs that finicky that every little variable would actually matter? Yuck.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
It's a complete upper from BCM. No SBR, flash hider welded.

I know the old "you get what you pay for" cliche. I just find it curious that Wolf failed when other, cheaper Russian made crap ran through just fine.

I've used Wolf in nearly everything and not had one problem until now. Are ARs that finicky that every little variable would actually matter? Yuck.
Unfortunately from what I have heard AR's can be more finicky that even that...
I really question the effectiveness of the .223 platform & since I have no plans to "bug out" I plan my lil' war around the .308 round and the 12 Ga. I assume I will be about 10-30 feet away from my target (s) and when I hit my target (with the .308) I want it to go down & stay down. I really think I'll have better luck on that account with the 12 Ga... but I'll hafta wait & see.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Diggs, I have fired several thousand rds of 55gr Wolf from my AR's and Mini 14's. ZERO problems. Two weeks ago I ran 700rds through my M4 in one day.

BUT, I have not used any of the 62gr. Have you tried the Wolf 55gr? And if so, does it work?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Diggs, I have fired several thousand rds of 55gr Wolf from my AR's and Mini 14's. ZERO problems. Two weeks ago I ran 700rds through my M4 in one day.

BUT, I have not used any of the 62gr. Have you tried the Wolf 55gr? And if so, does it work?
I honestly don't remember if I've used 55gr Wolf through this gun, so I can't tell you. . . but this was the first time I've used the 62 grain and I've got some left, so next time I go out I'll take at least one other gun and use the same mags, etc.

But, thanks for the practical response.

While I'm getting into the technical side of shooting sports, first things first. . . when I pull the trigger, I want to hearBlam!!! My first (and usually only necessary) test is to shoot stuff. It usually works, so I keep shooting, until I'm done, field strip, clean and repeat for years to come.

The folks that made the upper are reputable, so I'm not gonna go measuring in Micrometers the diameter of my gas port and even think about changing it.

If my gun can't run 700-1000 rounds of cheap ammo through it in a day, then I'll sell it and buy one that can.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Unfortunately from what I have heard AR's can be more finicky that even that...
I really question the effectiveness of the .223 platform & since I have no plans to "bug out" I plan my lil' war around the .308 round and the 12 Ga. I assume I will be about 10-30 feet away from my target (s) and when I hit my target (with the .308) I want it to go down & stay down. I really think I'll have better luck on that account with the 12 Ga... but I'll hafta wait & see.
I plan to be "bugged out" if/when bad things happen, but as of now my go to gun are AK-47s, they all "hit" a man sized with in 100 yds almost 100% of the time. The reason I would like to have an AR in the mix is due to availability of ammo, parts, accessories, etc.,

And I gotta admit, although I hate to. . . I shoot them better than my AKs.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im interested in seeing if its a problem caused by the 62gr. Ive been thinking about getting some 62gr thinking it might fly straighter than 55gr in a 1:7.

Has anyone tried the 75gr Tula?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Since you guys claim wolf isn't quite premium, there might be bigger variances between the ones that don't cycle correectly. (manufacture inconsistancies)
Try to do a comparason between known good ammo and the one that was last fired
and the one that didn't make it into the chamber all the way. I would like to see
those differences.

While I bet the AR doesn't mind a few tiny descrepencies, it could be the ones that
aren't up to snuff in a batch. Ones that should have been stopped by QC at an
American factory.

(please note, i really don't know what i'm talking about)

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

To be as diplomatic as possible. I will just state the modifying a weapon to shoot less than quality ammunition is a poor choice for a solution. Obviously the problem exists due to the various differences in the Throat area of the rifle in the Throat and Free Bore area. With ammo that the case might be too long or the Over All Length of the ammunition is too long. The last thing I want to do is modify a weapon to jam it in with force. IE Heavier Buffer or Spring. There is also a potential of increasing chamber pressure because the case could in fact become compressed tighter in the cannular of the bullet by being almost crushed and case expanded into the throat area. The Bushmaster Rifles normally have a little more tolerance in that area compared to some of the others. If you get a chance try a throat erosion gauge in several different brands of new ARs. You will soon see what I am saying. New the Throat Guage reading will vary. And as Diggs has mentioned if the SHTF someday I certainly would take the rifle that will shoot almost every brand of ammo I have. Not that I too am a fan of wolf and others. I am not. But understand why it is purchased. That is why the Kalashnikov AKs are good because they will shoot even crap ammunition normally.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
To be as diplomatic as possible. I will just state the modifying a weapon to shoot less than quality ammunition is a poor choice for a solution. Obviously the problem exists due to the various differences in the Throat area of the rifle in the Throat and Free Bore area. With ammo that the case might be too long or the Over All Length of the ammunition is too long. The last thing I want to do is modify a weapon to jam it in with force. IE Heavier Buffer or Spring.
My thoughts exactly. Like i said. . . I'm NOT going to make any changes to my gun!

I haven't even put enough downrange to make an overall assessment of this guns reliability; and probably won't for another month or two. I just barely got it dialed in after my mess with a half-assed gunsmith and am VERY happy with it in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
And as Diggs has mentioned if the SHTF someday I certainly would take the rifle that will shoot almost every brand of ammo I have. Not that I too am a fan of wolf and others. I am not. But understand why it is purchased. That is why the Kalashnikov AKs are good because they will shoot even crap ammunition normally.
I'm soon going to have the privilege of shooting/owning different AR-15s (mechanically speaking) in the direct gas system to determine if it fits my requirements for a SHTF gun. If not I will sell two or three and invest in a high quality piston driven AR. I really like the AR-15 and it keeps growing on me, but its gotta go BANG every time. . . FIRST and foremost.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 01-06-2011 at 04:00 AM.