Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Questionable Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/questionable-ammo-36348/)

diggsbakes 01-02-2011 11:46 PM

Questionable Ammo

1 Attachment(s)
So the only ammo I've gotten multiple failures from my new build is Wolf .223 Rem 62 grain HP. In conjunction with these failures, I'm talking almost every round fails to cycle/go into full battery, I have gotten the same type of failure from this Ammo once out of my Bushmaster and ZERO from any other type.

Now I said this type of Wolf is the only Ammo I've gotten multiple failures from. . . I've did get a single failure of the same sort from Tula 62 GR. HP.

Now the ONLY Russian production ammo that I've NOT experienced ANY failure from is Brown Bear. Now many of ya'll would say "Well it all comes from the same place." While that may be true, check out the picture I included.

On the right is the Wolf, on the left in the Brown Bear. The "polymer coating" Brown Bear advertises is very visible. It also has a texture, much similar to brass as opposed to Wolf, which is much different. Also notice that the projectile on the Wolf (right) is a bit longer (seated shallower) by about 3/32" (yes I did measure).

I wish this rifle would "eat everything" that is something that I want(ed) out of ALL my guns, especially ones to be considered for a SHTF grabber. As it stands the AK is still primary, (especially in urban, short range apps.) but this AR will get drug along. Hopefully the current build will out shoot this one, even in the accuracy dept., but consistent 200 yard hits on a 8"-10" plate sure beats out the AK.

So. . . . . questions, comments, concerns does anyone even care?

JonM 01-03-2011 12:17 AM

its a pic and hard to tell but the silver case looks a scootch longer.

diggsbakes 01-03-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 413769)
its a pic and hard to tell but the silver case looks a scootch longer.

Might be a good idea to READ the post before commenting. If you just wanna look at the pics I'll send you a Midway catalog. :rolleyes:

mjkeat 01-03-2011 01:00 AM

The projectile being longer/seated more shallow could possibly be a problem. THe case does look slightly longer as well. I wonder if trying diff buffer springs or buffers couldnt cure your problem. I havent done much research on shooting Wolf but I am aware that it does require tweaking a rifles spring/buffer combo a little.

diggsbakes 01-03-2011 01:19 AM

There could be a chance that I don't have the optimum buffer/spring combo in place to begin with. It is a 14.5" bbl, mid length. So I guess a lighter spring is the only answer for the gun failing to cycle completely, but we all know that Wolf's propellant isn't top shelf. I wonder if the comfort level loss, due to greater felt recoil would even be noticed by switching to a lighter spring?

JonM 01-03-2011 01:45 AM

wellll a longer case and the bolt not closing i think you got an answer... the chamber on the rifle you are having problems with is a little shorter than the bushmaster.

last thing i would do is base a rifle choice on shoddy russian ammo.

if the measurements are out of the below spec i would say the ammo is the issue not the gun. i think you found out why wolf ammo is cheap.

Quote:

5.56x45mm NATO
Parent case .223 Remington
Case type Rimless, bottleneck
Bullet diameter 5.70 mm (0.224 in)
Neck diameter 6.43 mm (0.253 in)
Shoulder diameter 9.00 mm (0.354 in)
Base diameter 9.58 mm (0.377 in)
Rim diameter 9.60 mm (0.378 in)
Rim thickness 1.14 mm (0.045 in)
Case length 44.70 mm (1.760 in)
Overall length 57.40 mm (2.260 in)
Rifling twist 178 mm or 229 mm (1 in 7" or 9", originally 1 in 14")
Primer type Small rifle
Maximum pressure 430.00 MPa (62,366 psi)

Dgunsmith 01-03-2011 02:37 AM

New build....who chambered it, to what dimension and what gauges were used ?

May reveal the first hint on the chamber.

Which stock and buffer tube ?

Which spring and buffer ?

14.5 inch barrel...is it an SBR ?

What is the gas hole size ?

Get a set of digital calipers and measure the OAL of the load VS SAAMI Specs.

Problems and Wolf go hand in hand...you get what you pay for !

billdeserthills 01-03-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggsbakes (Post 413763)
So the only ammo I've gotten multiple failures from my new build is Wolf .223 Rem 62 grain HP. In conjunction with these failures, I'm talking almost every round fails to cycle/go into full battery, I have gotten the same type of failure from this Ammo once out of my Bushmaster and ZERO from any other type.

Now I said this type of Wolf is the only Ammo I've gotten multiple failures from. . . I've did get a single failure of the same sort from Tula 62 GR. HP.

Now the ONLY Russian production ammo that I've NOT experienced ANY failure from is Brown Bear. Now many of ya'll would say "Well it all comes from the same place." While that may be true, check out the picture I included.

On the right is the Wolf, on the left in the Brown Bear. The "polymer coating" Brown Bear advertises is very visible. It also has a texture, much similar to brass as opposed to Wolf, which is much different. Also notice that the projectile on the Wolf (right) is a bit longer (seated shallower) by about 3/32" (yes I did measure).

I wish this rifle would "eat everything" that is something that I want(ed) out of ALL my guns, especially ones to be considered for a SHTF grabber. As it stands the AK is still primary, (especially in urban, short range apps.) but this AR will get drug along. Hopefully the current build will out shoot this one, even in the accuracy dept., but consistent 200 yard hits on a 8"-10" plate sure beats out the AK.

So. . . . . questions, comments, concerns does anyone even care?

AWwww Of Course I care,

Quentin 01-03-2011 02:46 AM

Was the longer round pictured chambered in the rifle? Anyway I'm looking at the dark ring toward the tip of the bullet - is that on fresh unchambered rounds too?

diggsbakes 01-03-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdeserthills (Post 413869)
AWwww Of Course I care,
However when I pick a SHTF gun I simply use ammo that I know will cycle in it reliably. For instance, the next time you have say, a No Knock Warrant being served upon your home, pick the ammo that your SHTF gun will work good with- See, Problem Solved!

I got that all lined out Bill. Thanks. Several types of Ammo tested and approved and loaded into dozens of tested mags. ;)

The reason I (or anyone else I hope) shoots Russian made ammo is because we also want to be proficient with our SHTF guns. Becoming and staying proficient with a firearm can be costly, so given the fact that Wolf is on the shelf (think that's where I got it. . . ) it should function.