Question from New AR-15 Buyer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question from New AR-15 Buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question from New AR-15 Buyer

Newbie to the whole target shooting thing, but I've really "caught the bug" with my handgun. Next I want to learn how to rifle shoot and like the versatility and "show and tell" factors of the AR-15.

a) I'm thinking about the Ruger SR-556. Seems like a nice package of quality components for a beginner. Any comments good or bad about that particular gun that aren't related to price?

b) Where does a guy get started with target shooting using an AR-15? Most, if not all, of the rifle ranges near Milwaukee are "members only." Any advice for picking a gun club? Do I just pick the closest one and see what the membership requirements are?

I basically want somewhere I can go on Saturday and shoot targets at varying ranges for an hour or so.

Newbie from Milwaukee, WI

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Hard to give you any advice not knowing the area. Seems strange to me that there is no public range.
I always find it best when I need local advice to ask around at the gun shops. Gun guys are usually great about helping out.
Good luck.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome!

You might stop by the "Introductions" thread and tell us a little bit about yourself. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys and gals in this forum who can give you some really good feedback on your questions.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #4

Bristol rifle & pistol range is open to the public and not all that far from Milwaukee.

Rifle Range

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post
Newbie to the whole target shooting thing, but I've really "caught the bug" with my handgun. Next I want to learn how to rifle shoot and like the versatility and "show and tell" factors of the AR-15.

a) I'm thinking about the Ruger SR-556. Seems like a nice package of quality components for a beginner. Any comments good or bad about that particular gun that aren't related to price?

b) Where does a guy get started with target shooting using an AR-15? Most, if not all, of the rifle ranges near Milwaukee are "members only." Any advice for picking a gun club? Do I just pick the closest one and see what the membership requirements are?

I basically want somewhere I can go on Saturday and shoot targets at varying ranges for an hour or so.
i live over near burlington wisconsin and i have a SR556 they are not target rifles. they are however prolly one of the best AR15's out atm. theya re a little heavier than a standard AR15 as they have a full heavy barrel and the gas system adds a little scootch of weight. but it offsets that by minimizing the recoil even more so than on a standard AR. the barrel is designed more for high round counts down the tube and sacrifices accuracy for that feature. this isnt to say it isnt accurate it just isnt designed as a target weapon.

the sights feel and versatility is excellent as is the quality and fit of the parts. the weapon fits so tightly that i have to use a punch to get the upper/lower reciever drift pin out. its a very very good rifle.

if you want to start target shooting look at working up a ruger 10/22 they are tack drivers if you get one and have a trigger job done or replacement trigger components. target shooting is all abotu trigger control breath control and beaing able to hold steady on a target. long distance target shooting is the next step from that and AR's just dont cut it for things much beyound 500 yards or windy conditions.

anyway the SR is a great rifle but it isnt a target rifle even with a scope.

as for ranges in the winter i generally stick to indoor ranges i hate the cold. badger outdoors is in milwaukee and has a nice indoor range 50 yards max and the folks there are fairly decent types. in the better weather there is mcmiller sports center in eagle which has a really nice outdoor 300 yards max outdoor public range. mcmiller is about the only public outdoor range in a reasonable distance. all other ranges are private clubs that want lots of volunteer hours. or lots of money. or both.

Last edited by JonM; 01-10-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post

First, welcome to the site. Wouldnt be a bad idea to go to the intro section and introduce yourself.
In this area all of the clubs are members only too. This is due primarily due to insurance reasons. Usually they have websites or you can just stop by the range when someone is there. Find out when they have meetings and then go and find out what it takes to become a member.
If you want to do target shooting, you may want to look into the area clubs and see if any of them have a CMP league. CMP-Civilian Marksmanship Program. These are NRA sanctioned shoots and they are structured. Favored gun for these is the AR-15 A2. However, M-1 Garands and M1A'a have a strong presence as well.
That will give you a good start in AR-15's (Foundations like proper holding, aiming, shooting, cleaning, maintainence, marksmanship, etc.) After you get comfortable then you can look to the shorty's (CAR, M-4, and the like) for havin fun. A game I like to call dirt squirtin'. Starting with an A-2 will also let you easily change to a carbine by simply swappin out the upper. If you really get into it (trust me, you will) then you will end up with at least two lowers and a few uppers to make any rife you need.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

Default AUS .223 ammo from AIM???

Got my AR-15 last fall, bought identical one for my son for Christmas (DPMS), price was right. Its cold cold winter here in north country of U.S, so can't try out this ammo I bought. 500 rounds 55gr FMJ for $169, with shipping it ended up just over 36 cents per. Aguila had slightly better deal, but the AUS 223 is manufactured in U.S & as description said "by U.S. Defense contractor". I bought 3 x 500 rd bags and would like to buy another 2000 but have not shot the stuff, but worried prices may go up again. If I don't hear anything negative, will place another order. Its really the only caliber I can buy cheaper on the internet than I can at home.

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 AM   #8

Alby, Gus, JonM:

Really excellent posts. Thank you! I think I'm going to like it here.

Alby: looks like Bristol would be worth a short drive and has a rifle range open to the public. Thanks!

JonM: excellent post regarding the ruger sr556. I understand that it is not a target rifle --- I'm at the "just-for-fun, collecting, and family defense" stage at this point --- and the sr556 seems like one of the nicer packages for jumping into an AR-15. Frankly, after watching nutnfancy's positive review last night, I think I'm sold unless someone convinces me the sr556 it is a poor performing AR-15 or I will otherwise regret my purchase; it doesn't sound like you regret your purchase.

After I get this AR-15 out of my system, I might start researching a real "target" gun. Something tells me, however, that I'll put many hours into enjoying the SR556 before that time.

Really guys - thanks for the responses - excellent stuff. Just paid for the premium membership due to this sort of quality.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeshooter View Post
Got my AR-15 last fall, bought identical one for my son for Christmas (DPMS), price was right....
rangeshooter: have a link to the DPMS model you like?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #10

Default Update and Questions Regarding Misfires, etc.

I bought the Ruger SR-556 this weekend and put 200 rounds down range straight from the store. Remington UMC. I had a couple misfires and a few failures to eject, but overall things were great and seemed to improve about 1/2 way through my time at the range.

Shall I blame it on the ammo or possibly a lack of proper lubrication due to the gun being straight from the box?