Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question on Israeli 5.56 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question on Israeli 5.56 ammo

I have a bunch of ammo in unopened 20 rd boxes with Israeli writings on them.
I opened up a couple of the boxes and the boxes contain mixed dated ammo from 1974-1979, all from the same mfg. The boxes have what appears to be 6-89 dates on them which is probably a repack date. (I'm guessing).
Can anyone tell me from the head stamps what bullet grain/weight the rds are. I'm guessing 55 grs. Ray

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Apparently it's Winchester brass according to a post on another forum and most likely 55 gr, Ray

Old 08-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Well I shot some the other day. I'm sure it was the 55gr in the 1/7 twist of my rifle as I thought it should shoot better at 100 yrds. I concentrated and was pretty sure I did my part but some groups were pretty good and others opened up with some being almost flyers.
I think I'll bring some boxes to a gun show and see if I can trade for some heavier bullet ones. What would a box of mine sell for as opposed to a box of lets say 62 or heavier ones. I know the 55 gr ones would sell for less so what would be a decent trade in boxes? I'm sure there are some older AR's out there that were designed for the 55 gr bullet and would shot well in them.
Just trying to get an idea.
I hope I'm not just talking to myself on this forum.
Ray

Old 08-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That is Western Cartridge Company headstamp.

winchesters military division.

Its likely m193 ball.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thing is Ray, most of the 62gr ammo I see is penetrator ammo, and that seems to go for a slight premium over plain 55gr ball ammo. Then again some folks seem to be happy to pay a bit more for Israeli stuff, on Southpark Cartman seems to refer to those folks as Joos (Jews)

Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #6

Thanks gentlement for the replies.
What would be a good bullet weight to shoot in the 1/7 twist.
I realize the heavier rds would be worth more and was wondering what would be a reasonable trade difference. For example, three boxes of the 55gr for two boxes of the heavier rds, etc. Just need a general idea. Ray

Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #7

three for two ? sounds good to me.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #8

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

55gr should shoot fine in your 1:7. I would shoot them and reload them.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #9

I thought about reloading them with a heavier bullet but with 800 rds already loaded, it doesn't seem worth it as it would take me quite a while to shoot that amount of ammo as it is. I'll be saving the cases and when the ammo is almost all most gone, I'll start reloading them. I reload about ten different calibers now so one more won't be a problem.
Maybe I will just buy a few boxes with heavier bullets just to see if it's me or the 55 gr bullet.
Thanks everyone for the responses, Ray

Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayg View Post
What would be a good bullet weight to shoot in the 1/7 twist.
I realize the heavier rds would be worth more and was wondering what would be a reasonable trade difference. For example, three boxes of the 55gr for two boxes of the heavier rds, etc. Just need a general idea. Ray
Sounds like a good trade. I've just began to scratch the surface in ammo testing in my AR, which is also a 1/7 twist. 62 grains seem to shoot more consistently, but optimum weight for 1/7 is over 70 grains and even up to 95 grains.