Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Question on Israeli 5.56 ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/question-israeli-5-56-ammo-30532/)

rayg 08-17-2010 03:22 PM

Question on Israeli 5.56 ammo

2 Attachment(s)
I have a bunch of ammo in unopened 20 rd boxes with Israeli writings on them.
I opened up a couple of the boxes and the boxes contain mixed dated ammo from 1974-1979, all from the same mfg. The boxes have what appears to be 6-89 dates on them which is probably a repack date. (I'm guessing).
Can anyone tell me from the head stamps what bullet grain/weight the rds are. I'm guessing 55 grs. Ray

rayg 08-17-2010 10:00 PM

Apparently it's Winchester brass according to a post on another forum and most likely 55 gr, Ray

rayg 08-21-2010 12:31 PM

Well I shot some the other day. I'm sure it was the 55gr in the 1/7 twist of my rifle as I thought it should shoot better at 100 yrds. I concentrated and was pretty sure I did my part but some groups were pretty good and others opened up with some being almost flyers.
I think I'll bring some boxes to a gun show and see if I can trade for some heavier bullet ones. What would a box of mine sell for as opposed to a box of lets say 62 or heavier ones. I know the 55 gr ones would sell for less so what would be a decent trade in boxes? I'm sure there are some older AR's out there that were designed for the 55 gr bullet and would shot well in them.
Just trying to get an idea.
I hope I'm not just talking to myself on this forum.
Ray

willfully armed 08-21-2010 06:37 PM

That is Western Cartridge Company headstamp.

winchesters military division.

Its likely m193 ball.

billdeserthills 08-21-2010 06:57 PM

Thing is Ray, most of the 62gr ammo I see is penetrator ammo, and that seems to go for a slight premium over plain 55gr ball ammo. Then again some folks seem to be happy to pay a bit more for Israeli stuff, on Southpark Cartman seems to refer to those folks as Joos (Jews)

rayg 08-21-2010 09:01 PM

Thanks gentlement for the replies.
What would be a good bullet weight to shoot in the 1/7 twist.
I realize the heavier rds would be worth more and was wondering what would be a reasonable trade difference. For example, three boxes of the 55gr for two boxes of the heavier rds, etc. Just need a general idea. Ray

peabody 08-22-2010 03:04 PM

three for two ? sounds good to me.

jpattersonnh 08-23-2010 12:50 AM

55gr should shoot fine in your 1:7. I would shoot them and reload them.

rayg 08-23-2010 11:46 AM

I thought about reloading them with a heavier bullet but with 800 rds already loaded, it doesn't seem worth it as it would take me quite a while to shoot that amount of ammo as it is. I'll be saving the cases and when the ammo is almost all most gone, I'll start reloading them. I reload about ten different calibers now so one more won't be a problem.
Maybe I will just buy a few boxes with heavier bullets just to see if it's me or the 55 gr bullet.
Thanks everyone for the responses, Ray

diggsbakes 08-25-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayg (Post 336087)
What would be a good bullet weight to shoot in the 1/7 twist.
I realize the heavier rds would be worth more and was wondering what would be a reasonable trade difference. For example, three boxes of the 55gr for two boxes of the heavier rds, etc. Just need a general idea. Ray

Sounds like a good trade. I've just began to scratch the surface in ammo testing in my AR, which is also a 1/7 twist. 62 grains seem to shoot more consistently, but optimum weight for 1/7 is over 70 grains and even up to 95 grains.