Question of etiquette
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question of etiquette

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
That's a funny looking spatula...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Question of etiquette

So I'm looking to do my first build, and I want to source most of the parts online since they're both cheaper and I have more selection, but I know I would either need to have the lower receiver shipped to my LGS, or buy one from them. I would also like to have help torquing the barrel and have someone look it over once I'm done, just for peace of mind.

Is it ok to go into the store and basically say, "I'm not buying from you, but I still want your help"? I'm assuming they would charge for the service, but I still feel like it's rude. Am I wrong?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

depends on the store i say its just fine.. because either way they are making some money.. the transfer fee, or your purchase. and then a fee for the check.. they may be nice about it, or be douchbaggish... but either way i dont see it as rude.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7441 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 15311

Get the lower from or through a dealer and have a gunsmith inspect your finished work.

no offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Get the lower from or through a dealer and have a gunsmith inspect your finished work.

no offense and none taken
Are dealers different from LGS?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 102

An LGS or "local gun shop" would be classified as a dealer

Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Gotcha. That's a good idea. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #7

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When I was looking for mine I did plenty of online shopping. Even made a spreadsheet so I could try various combinations of pricing. The local dealer I decided to purchase from sold out of the one I was planing on getting. The next one they had was $75 more. The wife said we needed to check out the other local stores. Went to about 6 that day and none had on as cheap as the first store. Of the 6 we went to only one advised looking on line for a cheaper cost. The other either said they could find one in my price range or that they just plain could not do it. I like that dealer but they are so far across town from me. The one I bought from is only about 5 miles down the road and has a range. Both have gunsmiths one site that are more than willing to help out. Not sure about cost though.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 165 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 48

They make money charging you for the FFL transfer. They will be fine with it. How do I know? I asked my LGS the same question. And he is going to help me build it at no charge.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

My advice, go to the store in question and ask them. First LGS I went to, I asked "how much do you charge to do a transfer for a lower receiver"

Their answer was "why would you want to build an AR? you can buy one of the same quality for cheaper after you consider all the shipping charges and everything. Here, look at our Colt AR. We'll sell it to you right now for $1400...." and then he proceeded to tell me how awesome of an AR it was.

I haven't gone back to that store since. I want a gun store that is all about the hobby of buying, building, and shooting guns. I don't need a gun store that resorts to used car salesman tactics to stay in business. (The particular store in question is a larger volume store with ranges and meeting rooms to host special events, etc. and sucks a lot of business up from Columbus and surrounding area with heavy radio advertising, and has the aire of superiority about them...they think of themselves as a high end country club)

I have a small LGS that I've found who has about 1/10th of the footprint of the first store. good, down to earth guys who love to chat guns when I go in. Over the last couple years I've bought 5 AR lowers, and each time they ask what my plans are, who's parts are going to go in them, and are happy to do my transfer for a nominal $25.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #10

Liked 1029 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 677

As long as you don't expect them to do it for free, I don't think it's a problem. They still may do it for free, that'd be cool. And would probably get them some business from you in the future.

Not sure what you mean by "more selection" online. I was looking the other day, and pretty much every part I was interested in was out of stock. I'm not doing a build until I can get everything I want, right now. May never happen.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.