Question for DDM4 Owners
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Question for DDM4 Owners

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mudpupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default

I have a couple of AR's from a DPMS to my new DDM4 V3.

When I clean the bolt Carrier of the cheaper ones I get a smooth wet look afterwards.

On the Daniel Defense Bolt carrier I can soak it in oil but the second I wipe it down, it gets a dry almost rough exterior.

Do you experience this?

I know it's clean, and I have tried CLP, frog lube, gun oil, and even mobile 1.

It doesn't effect the performance even though I live in a dry desert environment.

Is this normal for a DDM4?

__________________
mudpupp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

I have a few BCGs like that, I can slather them in oil and next day they look dry . Run it til it quits and add more lube . Its just the coating some of them the black phosphate seems thicker the thinner ones appear shiny

__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mudpupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I have a few BCGs like that, I can slather them in oil and next day they look dry . Run it til it quits and add more lube . Its just the coating some of them the black phosphate seems thicker the thinner ones appear shiny
Cool...

I am running it through a 4 day Tactical class this weekend.

Guess I will see what happens after a few hundred rounds in the hot desert sun

Thank you for your response
__________________
mudpupp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

I got a DDM4V3 upper in 2010. Its bolt carrier is very smooth and stays shiny. It's the old unmarked carrier, the new ones have the double D logo. Anyway, my experience is similar to Purehavoc's. Some finishes are coarser than others and retain oil differently.

__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,750
Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
Cool...

I am running it through a 4 day Tactical class this weekend.

Guess I will see what happens after a few hundred rounds in the hot desert sun

Thank you for your response
I might make a suggestion , I know there are lots of claims out there about this lube and that lube but if your seriously going to do a 4 day course go buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic, I prefer the 5-30 wt . Dont grab some other synthetic off the shelf make sure its Mobil 1 . Keep it lubed up real good and you wont have any problems . 4 day course is alot of rounds . I ran 7000-8000+ rds thru one of my ARs , uncleaned during that time, just lubed generously every outing and had no issues in that many rounds.
Have fun and play safe
__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mudpupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 752
Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc

I might make a suggestion , I know there are lots of claims out there about this lube and that lube but if your seriously going to do a 4 day course go buy a bottle of Mobile 1 synthetic, I prefer the 5-30 wt . Dont grab some other synthetic off the shelf make sure its Mobil 1 . Keep it lubed up real good and you wont have any problems . 4 day course is alot of rounds . I ran 7000-8000+ rds thru one of my ARs , uncleaned during that time, just lubed generously every outing and had no issues in that many rounds.
Have fun and play safe
Like my OP said, mobile 1was one of the things I tried. I still have 3/4 of a bottle, so I am ready to rock.

Thanks for all the input. Course starts tomorrow morning (8 hours from now)
__________________
mudpupp is offline  
purehavoc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Customized DDM4 on order! knfxda AR-15 Discussion 1 12-24-2012 12:27 AM
question for G21 SF owners smallbore Glock Forum 14 09-12-2010 10:30 PM
Daniel Defense DDM4 dlos AR-15 Discussion 6 03-24-2010 01:27 AM
A question for NJ gun owners. Gun-shy The Club House 5 03-14-2009 06:12 PM